cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Q2 Air Link Settings with a High End rtx3090

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

So you've got a very expensive very high end gaming PC and Q2. How do you get the best out of this for PCVR games/sims with your Quest 2 wireless with Air Link?

I'm going to try to describe what works best for me with my fairly hi-end desktop gaming pc (i9 9900k oc 5Ghz water cooled, Zotac rtx3090 Trinity stock clocks, 32Gb 3000 ram) and win10pro. I'll also try to give a few alternative suggestions for those less fortunate.

I will assume that you have at least researched Air Link requirements and how to basically set it up. Like enabling Air Link in the Q2 experimental setting and pairing this to your Oculus Desktop app. If you cannot at least do this then ignore the rest of this post. Likewise if you've already gone rogue and enabled win11, lol! Just kidding, some of these things plus win11 workarounds may help. However, if you have a Q1 ignore all this and just use Virtual Desktop imho.

One important thing to determine is you can actually run your Q2 wired or wireless which is pretty easy. If you do not have a good 1gig router ethernet wired to you PC and dedicated 5Ghz wifi close by, preferably in the same room, then you are best to ignore the rest of this post.

Ok, first settings are your Oculus Desktop PC device graphics settings. What works best for me with my Q2/rtx3090 is 80Hz refresh and the res slider full right (= native Q2 res). For those with a bit lesser gpu's you will need to move the res slider down a few notches, and also maybe try 72Hz. Also, set the Rift home dashboard bitrate setting to 200mbps Dynamic (or 100mbps dynamic for gtx1000/1600 series and AMD gpu's). Dynamic bitrates always seem smoother to me, esp. with SteamVR apps/sims.

Oculus Debug Tool settings (ODT); call it up (google how to do this, you should already know how) and set everything to defaults/zeros except link sharpening enabled, distortion Low, encoding width 3664 (= native Q2 res scaling), and ASW disabled (auto or enabled if you really need it with a lower end gpu).

Nvidia control panel 3d global settings all default except power = prefer max performance. The latest nvidia driver 511.79 works very well and you may want to use DDU to properly uninstall previous drivers beforehand (google how to do this). Some lower end gpu users may want to try changing the default quality option to performance or even high performance.

Win10 settings; disable hardware acceleration graphics (HAGS) and turn Game Mode off. Also make sure your usb ports have power savings disabled.

SteamVR visual settings all manual 100% and advanced super sample filtering disabled.

In-game settings at default to begin with. Boost these up a bit if you still have more headroom.

I think that this should give most Q2 Air Link users a very good result.

As an aside; I have used the free Oculus Tray Tool app (OTT) for many years now and it is pretty handy for fine tuning things. I now mainly use it because I run a dual Vive Pro/Q2 setup and find that its audio and ovr runtime switching options are very handy as well as finetuning some game/sim profiles.

https://www.apollyonvr.com/

If you decide to try this please read the included OTT manual you'll find in its install folder.

Last thing, for good runtimes use a decent 10000-20000mahr external battery pack attached to your rear strap with a couple of velcro straps and a short (1.5ft cable). I use the Oculus Elite strap with battery and this gives me plenty of runtime.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07PFHB3R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, I hope you find some of this useful mates. Cheers.

Addendum; With a good Link cable(I still prefer this with flight/racing sims). I still use the same settings except with ODT I set the bitrate to 500. The best Link cable I've use so far is this fairly new powered one from the Amazon US store;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QPZQ8J3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Uses your Q2 charger/cable and seems to keep your headset battery at 78% like forever.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
2 REPLIES 2

PITTCANNA
Visionary
  • While this is a good start, the other considerations are what is the game your playing and how are you affected by motion sickness.
  • Let me state you don't 120hz active all the time even if you are running a 3080 and above, some games run at 80 and 90 fine, there fore your can crank up the detail.  If a game is an exploration type and you don't need to have a lot frames, enjoy the higher quality visuals.  Conversely a game beat saber or other game that requires a frame data you don't need to be running higher than 1.2x on the render slider just to keep those frames up
  • Remove anything from your wifi-network to eliminate parasitic bandwidth draw, wifi connected consoles, tvs, phones, and/or tablets 

rafa.gonzalez
Explorer

Another user owning a 3090 here.

I was sceptic, but I was finally able to run AirLink successfully (dropped frame rate <0.2%) without a wired PC. Apparently, sharing my WiFi connection, under W11, to my dedicated 5GHz router does the trick. Just if you guys want to test it, it just works.
(PNY 3090, Intel i9 11900KF @5 GHz, 64 GB RAM @3600 Mhz)