cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen after 3 dots inside guardian

OrangeBerry
Level 2

Hi everyone,

This is a very recent problem concerning my quest 2.

It starts up normally, but once the 3 dots are gone i'm engulved in black, only being able to see my guardian. Once i physically get out of it, it switches to passthrough.

I have updated the Quest software and installed it moments before this issue. I do not know what version unfortunately.

94 REPLIES 94

It's the only fix I have seen in any of these forums.

TBwn
Level 4

Wait, that's not entirely true; someone did post about adjusting the IDP on your Quest.  Apparently they could get in with the adjusted IDP;
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/nzoq6x/black_screens_on_boot_possible_fix_by_enabling/

I had already reset by this time so I have not tested this.

That would be interesting to know if that IDP actually worked or someone messing around. I'd like to hear more on our forum if that works.

Sidwest
Level 2

Hey everyone.

I heard from customer support regarding our issue and the only solution they have is to Factory Reset your Oculus. All the progress you have achieved on your games will be deleted.  Unfortunately, thats the only solution they have so far.  They really have to do better with that. Their reasoning was this, "sometimes, minor network hiccups can cause our updates to be disrupted in small but significant ways, which in turn can react badly with other software updates."

Days_Are_Long
Level 2

Yea I’ve been having this issue too. It seems to have to solution other then factory reset..... and even then some people receive more issues after that..

That's all you can do. I'm not a gamer like some of the people are, so my saved scores being lost was not that big of deal. But I feel for the hardcore gamers that lost everything and Oculus didn't really seem to care. Otherwise they would of put out a WARNING OR CAUTION before doing update. Like this, example "CAUTION: BE AWARE OF DOING V29 UPDATE. SOME QUEST USERS ARE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS. TO FIX THE PROBLEMS A FACTORY RESET MUST BE DONE. AT WHICH TIME ALL SAVED GAME SCORES WILL BE LOST. DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE UPDATING."

TBwn
Level 4

I don't get why they don't have an auto-rollback feature, or cloud save.
Neither is a new thing and surely wouldn't be that much storage.
My disk space consumption on my headset is a joke.  I would gladly give up a few % for the sake of auto-rolling back after a failed update.

And I don't buy the network comment at all. 

In that case they can send out an update to fix the last update, I didn’t select the update, it happened automatically. Their fault not mine.

Oculus_RyanS
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hi everyone, the team is looking into this one right now. While the screen going black could be caused by different things, based on recent trends we'd recommend the factory reset as suggested already. You can follow the steps outlined here

To perform a factory reset using the headset:

1. Turn off your headset.
  2. Hold the power and volume (-) button on your headset down simultaneously until the boot screen loads on your headset.
  3. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Factory Reset and press the power button.
  4. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Yes and press the power button.

When you press and hold the power button together with the volume decrease button, you go to the boot menu. You can use your volume control on the headset to toggle between actions and once you select your option, press the power button to select. You will see the factory reset in the options. I have pressed every other button as I don't want to lose all my game progresses, but it seems it is the only option left. Good luck.