cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen after 3 dots inside guardian

OrangeBerry
Honored Guest

Hi everyone,

This is a very recent problem concerning my quest 2.

It starts up normally, but once the 3 dots are gone i'm engulved in black, only being able to see my guardian. Once i physically get out of it, it switches to passthrough.

I have updated the Quest software and installed it moments before this issue. I do not know what version unfortunately.

106 REPLIES 106

Hi Dan. My sensor is closed all the time as I take my headset off from time to time to not stop the play, so when I come back I can just continue where I left off. I will open it for a bit and see if your solution can work for me too, as I definitely do not want to do a factory reset at all.

Thank you for sharing with us.

"There isn't a rollback feature, and I'll mention it as an option to the team, but generally software best practices and security protocols require only going forwards."
>I get that this is the ideal, but I work in IT.  This is very much a feature baked into Windows.
Even firewalls and switches have the ability to auto-roll-back without committing a failed config change.

"That said, there is cloud storage available for things like saves, but it's at the developer level to implement it for games."
>Which is the problem.  That's what we're saying. This should be a feature of the device itself.  The company is pushing updates to us, like it or not, and if they fubar our devices you wash your hands of any lost data.

For the amount we pay for these devices that is incredibly poor customer service.

Wrinn
Explorer

"generally software best practices and security protocols require only going forwards"

Professional developer here: this is absolutely absurd and couldn't be farther from the truth.  If this is what your practice is at Facebook Labs then please consider firing and rehiring your IT department.  Competent dev teams bake rollback into their CI/CD pipes and practice release-rollback-rollforward prior to any releases, for EXACTLY this type of scenario.  If my team force pushed an update like this that bricked everyone's hardware with a fix like "factory reset", we'd be up all night getting it fixed by the next morning, and somebody would still be getting the axe for allowing it to happen.

Very well said from the HORSES MOUTH!! GOOD JOB!!

I hope their next update goes much better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone successfully transferred (non-game) files e.g. screenshots, out of their Quest when encountering this issue? If so, grateful if you could describe how and if you have any pointers? Thank you!

Desithar
Explorer

I'm having the exact same issue!  Has anyone had any luck?  I'm trying to avoid doing a factory reset since I don't want to lose all the data in my games.

Nope, your screwed……just like the rest of us poor slobs. Sorry. 🤷🏻‍:male_sign:

Yeah, I just finished reading through all the responses and it looks like a pretty grim situation...

It's really surprising that facebook/oculus doesn't have any sort of backup system in place, but I'm going to wait and see if they figure something out.  The oculus guy said they were working on it and that the factory reset is just a quick fix, so I'd rather wait instead of losing all my stuff.

Oculus: PLEASE HELP US OUT!!!

After over a week without any helpful fixes, I decided to check with my games developers to see how they save game data. Luckily the game I mainly play at the moment (Battle Sister) has the data saved in the cloud however some games would lose data.

I performed the factory reset as I have little hope that Facebook/Oculus will be bothered to implement a fix before I grow old and die.

Can now play games again however it may be worth checking where the game save data is stored if you want to get back into gaming or whether you want to continue waiting. 

Still unhappy with the lack of a credible fix or owning up to the screw up but that’s what you have to expect these days from billion dollar companies. 

Hope everyone gets back into gaming ASAP

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone, I wanted to update you all that the software for v30 is slowly rolling out to people (starting last week) and has some mitigation in place targeted at this black screen issue. We're still waiting on results from this before declaring it fixed, but as this update goes out to everyone over the next couple weeks we should see improvements. I'll update you all when there's more to share.

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.