cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a dedicated Quest 2 VR Computer

cp317
Honored Guest
I want to build a rig able to run full graphics in VR for Assetto Comp and Flight 2020.  I hope someone has already done this and is pleased with he results.  I awesome results on youtube but not much on the computer specs.  Need help please!
6 REPLIES 6

PITTCANNA
Visionary
flight sim 2020 in vr is absolutely trash if your not going to spend the money.

Flight sim can barely run well on traditional setups.

but if money is no object:

Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

i9-10900K

RTX 3090 (asus rog, or an evga)

32 gb ddr4 ram 3600mhz

1500 watt power supply

2 tb nvme ssd

Yep, FS2020 is a monster.
To have a worthwhile experience with this sim I think you're going to need a 3080ti or above, you can adjust the render scale within the sim to suit that GPU and end up with reasonable clarity and frame rate imo.
For a Rift-S, that means a render scale of 150%... Quest 2 probably 100%. ASW means around 25-30 FPS looks good if there are no stutters and with a card that's less than a 3080, there will probably be stutters unless you turn the render scale down to the point that clarity is possibly no longer good enough for you.

Things should improve with future iterations of the sim's VR implementation but I've resolved myself to getting a 3080ti or equivalent when they're available. I'll probably have to upgrade my CPU also but GPU seems to be more of a bottleneck for me.

Assetto Corsa is another matter, 1070 or above should be absolutely fine.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

Yep, FS2020 is a monster.
To have a worthwhile experience with this sim I think you're going to need a 3080ti or above, you can adjust the render scale within the sim to suit that GPU and end up with reasonable clarity and frame rate imo.
For a Rift-S, that means a render scale of 150%... Quest 2 probably 100%. ASW means around 25-30 FPS looks good if there are no stutters and with a card that's less than a 3080, there will probably be stutters unless you turn the render scale down to the point that clarity is possibly no longer good enough for you.

Things should improve with future iterations of the sim's VR implementation but I've resolved myself to getting a 3080ti or equivalent when they're available. I'll probably have to upgrade my CPU also but GPU seems to be more of a bottleneck for me.

Assetto Corsa is another matter, 1070 or above should be absolutely fine.

Are you sure?
According to someone in this thread they have msfs2020 on ultra with a GTX1650.......
Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo

Are you sure?
According to someone in this thread they have msfs2020 on ultra with a GTX1650.......

mmm my Maxwell Titan is supposedly equivalent to a 1070 or 1070ti and according to UserBanchmarks it's around 65% faster than a 1650 and the best I can do in monitor mode for FS2020 is medium settings and still have good frame rates (around 50fps).

In VR I'm at low settings and 25fps with render scale at 80% in the sim (for a Rift-S). And with that I have a lot of stuttering in between the 25fps. With 50% render scale I have no stuttering and a stable 25fps but that's still at low settings and 50% render scale is below the level that the scenery and cockpit instruments are acceptable.

I think you need 150% or above for the Rift-S/Quest 1 and 100% or above for the Quest 2 for good clarity. 25fps is fine in VR if ASW is working well. 
If someone is running FS at ultra in VR with a 1650, I'd like to know what render scale they're using! I'm doubtful anyone is running it at Ultra on a monitor and have acceptable frame rates tbh.

The problem I have now is that having tried FS in VR, I find I can't go back to monitor for this, which I was enjoying! I'm now faced with a £2k plus price for GPU and probably CPU upgrade just for this sim, to start enjoying it again. Every other VR program I have runs extremely well with my setup.

I don't think this sim is going to drive VR uptake in a big way for this reason, at least not in the medium term. In the long term though, this will be a massive VR title as the necessary hardware advances and becomes more affordable.

cp317
Honored Guest
I usually have my computers made to specs.  Is this one on the market:

Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

i9-10900K

RTX 3090 (asus rog, or an evga)

32 gb ddr4 ram 3600mhz

1500 watt power supply

2 tb nvme ssd

If so some name of companies that sell.

Thanks