Did you mean: 

Can I play before download is done

eiggam
Explorer
65% of download is done, not sure if I can play before it's fully downloaded
5 REPLIES 5

sford52
Heroic Explorer
An Oculus update? Yes, I think so. I'm pretty sure I've played Lone Echo while an update to the main app was downloading.
A new game/app? No, I don't think so. It will have to install after it's finished downloading.
An update to an existing game/app? I think so, but it may depend on the game.
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

falken76
Expert Consultant
You shouldn't be able to play a game while it's downloading, it's an EXE that needs to be executed in order to be installed.  I don't think an existing game would work either because it's still an EXE that patches the install so it should have to complete before it can even execute. It's not the same as music and movies that can be streamed.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
some consoles and PC game clients (Origin does it) prioritize the download to get the game executable installed first, then download the large content files in such a way that the ones that are needed early on are installed first, allowing the game to be started while the rest of the files are still being downloaded in the background. Obviously this won't work well in all scenarios, and requires the devs and publishers to set up the content packs with this feature in mind.

Anyway, no, Quest doesn't do this. I don't think it will even allow any downloading to happen while a VR app is running.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

falken76
Expert Consultant
Wow, it's amazing how these things work these days.  That's good to know.

KeyboardDemon
Explorer
When I bought Ninja Legends and played BoxVR while it was downloading, I don't think I would have been able to part download Ninja Legends and start playing it while it finished downloading though.