cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not set up oculus quest to my phone

cgroninlab
Honored Guest

cgroninlab_0-1661595280274.png 
Does anyone have the same problem as me? My phone and Oculus quest2 have been unable to pair successfully. Tried many times, including re-downloading the APP and resetting oculus

50 REPLIES 50

I hear ya, oculus needs to hire some new engineers I think 🤦

Ya hear that Meta? A (potential) NEW customer who I imagine still has the receipt and could just return the thing has instead been trying for 10 days to become a customer.

DO BETTER

Tanni32 deserves better...

Same story! I feel your pain! Cheers from Argentina

Floksha
Explorer

I returned my refurb quest 2 yesterday and in the email I've got from the customer support team they now inform that they may send a brand new quest 2 to solve the problem. let's hope it's part of the solution but I'm starting to doubt as I started to see people with brand new quest 2 get the same problem. fingers crossed 🤞 

TerenceEden
Protege

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Download the latest firmware file

2. Rename it update.zip

3. Power off your Quest 2

4. Hold Volume - and power until the device boots into a bootloader screen

5. Using the Volume buttons, navigate to "Sideload Update" and then press power

6. Connect your Q2 to your PC via the USB-C cable. Use the cable which came with the Q2 if possible

7. Install the Android Debug Bridge (adb)

8. Run adb devices, you should see something like List of devices attached: 123456789 sideload

9. Run adb sideload update.zip

10. After a few minutes the file will have transferred and your Q2 will begin updating

11. Once updated, you should be able to pair the app with the handset

If that doesn't work, ask Meta for a refund of their crappy product!

Thank you TerenceEden for posting this. After many frustrating days trying to get a recently purchased Quest 2 headset (bought new, headset only w/o controllers from eBay) to pair/connect with my mobile device, I now finally have a fully functioning and updated Quest 2!  Just a couple of additional notes that I ran into (on a PC) when following the above instructions and those on the "How to Install ADB" page:

- I had to use .\adb for the command in the PowerShell window since "Windows PowerShell does not load commands from the current location by default." (e.g., .\adb devices)

- Once the Quest headset's firmware was updated I had to do a factory reset on the headset before the Oculus app picked up on the device and eventually paired to it. (I had noticed before that the Oculus app would stop even detecting the headset after a few pairing attempts until a factory reset was initiated.)

JackDiddley
Protege

Okay, after 12 days of going back and forth and having Meta support parrot "our engineers are working on it" I finally found the time between working two jobs to scour websites looking for the answer.  I got mine fixed with something I found that was never recommended by Meta support.

I had to go into my mobile device settings (Android), then Apps, then the Meta Quest App, then Permissions, the next part was tricky, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi permissions do not appear in the list, you have to go to the three dots at the top of the screen to view ALL PERMISSIONS and you will see a long list.  From there I honestly can't remember if I did "pair with Bluetooth devices" or "access Bluetooth settings" but something I did in this menu got the app to recognize the headset and I was able to pair the controllers and move on.

Hope this helps, because Meta Support sure doesn't.

Don't tell those engineers though, eventually they'll search Google like I did...

shakenfr02
Explorer

hello, can you send us more details. In my android app (meta app) preference, I select authorisation option. I have agenda,proximity device,contacts and some more. I see the 3 dots on the right up corner (all autorisations). I obtain a long list but each time I select something I have an information message and no more... How can add permissions ?

Same here.  My battery would only charge up to 53%, so they swapped it out with a refurb.... and now we're all stuck with nothing but paperweights until they fix this issue. ðŸ˜’

Cjo06
Honored Guest

November 22, 2022, Black Friday special, Meta Quest 2 128gb that comes with Resident Evil and Beat Saber. Ordered this from Walmart.com. When it was delivered, I charged it for hours, then began setup. I was using hotspot made through my iPhone 6s plus. Setup was fast. Then comes the second update screen, with the code used to pair the headset with iPhone using Bluetooth. The headset would not move past this screen, the Meta Quest app kept saying couldn’t pair, even though my phone said the headset was connected through Bluetooth. I followed all the trouble shooting suggestions multiple times. Contacted support for Meta Quest. Started talking with someone who ignored me saying that I tried everything multiple times, continued to tell me to try everything over again. Was disconnected from the conversation while trying everything again. Eventually, I tried support again, was connected with the same person. Was asked for personal information, for serial numbers on the headset and box (didn’t match), for proof of purchase. This person didn’t explain anything to me, other than to say that my system would need to be replaced. This person sent an email with information on how I could ship the system to them for a replacement, possibly refurbished. After spending $370 on this system, I said hell no and returned it to Walmart. The lady who was doing the return wasn’t going to let me because the serial numbers didn’t match. After explaining the situation, she gave me a refund. She also said that serial numbers that don’t match means that the system is refurbished. I bought a new system before I left the store. After charging this system, I set it up and had the exact same problem. Decided to take it to the library and use their Wi-Fi network to see if that could be the problem. It was no help. I tried two different iPhones, no help. I returned this system to Walmart and bought a new system before leaving the store. I went back to the library and did the setup there. Still the same problem. I contacted support again. This person acknowledged that I tried everything, still had me try everything again. Was disconnected. Contacted support again, different person this time. This person had me doing all the trouble shooting suggestions over and over and over again. For over an hour. This really felt like a game. Finally I said no more and told the person that I would be returning the system to Walmart and I would be telling everyone I know about Meta Quest 2 being crap. He continually tried to keep me on the phone to help solve the problem. I returned this system to Walmart, drove 45 minutes away to another Walmart and spent $485 dollars to buy a system that wasn’t part of the Black Friday special. I was thinking that Meta Quest had sent out bad batches of the Black Friday systems, so I tried a different one. Still the same **bleep**ing problem!!!! I tried the app on an iPad, still the same problem. I’m returning the system after the weekend and buying a Nintendo Switch.