cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Merge Accounts

mshoutoculus1
Level 2
We have an Oculus Quest 1 at work where I used my personal Facebook account with.  Today, I just received my Oculus Quest 2 for my personal device at home.  However, I am getting "Can't Merge Accounts".  This Facebook account is already linked to another Oculus account.  Please contact Oculus support for help with merging this Facebook account with a different Oculus account.  I emailed support as they requested, but I have a brand new Oculus Quest 2 and I don't want to have to wait the 2 days to get it straightened out.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
A few days ago, it would have been as simple as unlinking your Facebook account from the work Oculus account. Now that the link/unlink system is retired, you probably need to do this: open the phone app that is associated with your work Quest, or power up the work Quest. You should be presented with the choice of merging accounts or continuing with your Oculus account. Choose not to merge and continue with your Oculus account. This should break the connection between the work Quest and your Facebook account, and your Facebook account should then be free to merge with your personal Oculus account. 

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

mshoutoculus1
Level 2
Nalex, thank you for the advice.  However, we wiped the Oculus Quest 1 out this morning so that we could sell it.  Is there anything else that can be done?

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Nalex, thank you for the advice.  However, we wiped the Oculus Quest 1 out this morning so that we could sell it.  Is there anything else that can be done?

Even without the Quest, logging into the phone app with your Facebook account or that Oculus account should get you to the merge dialogue so you can choose not to merge those two accounts. 

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

mshoutoculus1
Level 2
I logged in to the work account as you suggested and it says "Please log in with your facebook account.  Since you merged your Oculus account with your facebook account, you need to log in with your facebook account."  My only option is to click the blue "Continue with Facebook".  What should I do?

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Oh, if the Facebook and work Oculus accounts are already merged, that’s beyond what you can fix yourself. Hopefully Oculus support can do something about it. Although they say that merging is permanent, surely they should have accounted for the likelihood of people unintentionally merging the wrong accounts. I’ve already seen a few cases of that come up today. 

mshoutoculus1
Level 2
I just received a reply back from Oculus support.  However, I still can't make heads or tails on where to go.  I don't see these settings in my Oculus account or Facebook account at all.  Does this make sense to anyone?

You can follow these steps for unlinking your work account and also for linking your personal Facebook account:
  1. Go to Account
  2. Select 'My Linked Accounts'
  3. Here, you will see all the linked accounts with your email
  4. Select 'Edit' option button located beside Facebook
  5. From the menu select 'Unlink Accounts'
  6. After successfully completing this, when asked you can add your personal account

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
That doesn't match anything I've seen in the Oculus mobile app, desktop app, the Oculus website, or the Facebook website. I looked at the Facebook app on my wife's phone (because I don't use it myself) and didn't see a "My Linked Accounts" menu there either.

mshoutoculus1
Level 2
I told him that I couldn't find it and he gave me this:

1. Please go to the Facebook account on your phone or computer
  2. Click on the Three dots or Your name
  3. This will lead you to your profile
  4. You can find 'My linked Accounts'
I've looked and looked and it's not there.  Why are they leading me down a path that doesn't exist?

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
It sounds like they're reading from an old support script for menus and features that no longer exist. There used to be a "my linked accounts" section of your profile on Oculus.com, but that went away at least a year ago when they changed the account system to require a Facebook account for social features. The URL still exists ( https://secure.oculus.com/my/linked-accounts/ ), but it takes you to the Facebook Settings tab on your profile, which has no editable fields.

I've only had a Facebook account since that change a year ago, but I've never seen a "my linked accounts" menu there, and there certainly is not one that can be accessed by the steps described by Support.