cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant install anything (Windows desktop) support no help :(

ShadowToon
Protege

Hi all,

Have suddenly come across this issue whereby I can't install any apps at all on the Oculus/Meta Windows desktop app.

I have notifications stating an update for a game is in the queue, and an update to the oculus app itself is in the queue, but upon trying to initiate these updates, it does nothing other than send me another notification that its been added to the queue......what gives?

First time I've run into any issues at all with the Quest 2 and Quest PC software.

So what have I attempted to do?

* I have checked DNS servers to ensure nothing is being blocked, which it is not.

* Checked any network or storage issues, permissions etc - none found.

* I have removed all traces of the oculus software/drivers etc, restarted, then reinstalled, sadly to no effect.

* I have searched far and wide for fixes, none of which end up working.

So what works? Well, games....I can play PCVR just fine, doesn't matter if I use AirLink or cable, it works. Problem is, I can't update apps, or install games I've purchased and want to play.

Hardware I'm working with:

CPU: AMD 5800x

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080

OS: Windows 11 - And before you say it, I'm aware of issues users are having, but nobody has mentioned the one I am specifically.

Oculus software version: 37.0.0.79.109 (37.0.0.79.109)

All versions of firmwares, software updates, drivers etc are as up-to-date as possible at the time of this post.

I've had a little nosey in the logs generated, and the only one that sticks out is the following:

Daybreak.Core.Io+IoException: Error reading metadata for 'C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-overlays\notif-games-apps.dds'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The mounted file system does not support extended attributes

Now, I'd like to reiterate that up until yesterday, I've had no issues purchasing games via the oculus Windows 11 software and then installing, as of maybe 5 days ago I installed "After the fall", and it still works. It's just new content and updates.

Any help would be appreciated, as Oculus support chat service was shockingly bad. The person I spoke too didn't seem to know much about anything!!!

Cheers all

8 REPLIES 8

melzarxv
Explorer

I'm also having the same issue, worked fine up until yesterday. Someone said to delete files of the game in oculus folder but that hasn't resolved the issue and I'm not sure on what to do.

shogunmn
Heroic Explorer

I honestly think Oculus software version: 37.0.0.79.109 (37.0.0.79.109) is completely bricked for many users, except if the app was already installed and working prior to December of 2021. I had the same issue and my library has not returned since with that version. I hope an update comes soon. I want to be able to play my purchased content online. Support stated it was on there end for a month, then stated I should do all the steps again this week. It obviously wasn't fixed or addressed yet. 

shogunmn
Heroic Explorer

I should note the drivers at least work with Steam VR thankfully with Oculus software version: 37.0.0.79.109 (37.0.0.79.109. Not reassuring as I still don't have access to 6 years worth of purchases. 

Yes, as mentioned above, no issue with playing PCVR via AirLink etc so I hope others are able to play too.

Can't wrap my head around Oculus/meta not testing the software properly before releasing.

Is it possible to get hold of the older (pre Jan 21 update) software?

ShadowToon
Protege

Whatever happens, if a member of Oculus staff view this post, please DO NOT reply with the typically poor copy pasta support message.

Been down that road, still not working.

Solutions only please Oculus/meta staff.

For users, I'd like to hear if anyone else has done any other steps that haven't worked to fix this issue, save some time if/when others come across this issue.

I'm not anticipating a fix 😞

ShadowToon
Protege

This issue has now got worse, as Oculus software flat out fails to install now. All it asks you to do is restart your computer.

Absolute nonsense this, Oculus, you gone F****D it up.

bradjamc79
Explorer

FIXED!!!

Don't shoot the messenger. The resolution is total BS.

I looked throught the Oculus Library Service logs and found that there was an error indicating that their was a file system error of not supporting extended attributes (even through it's an NTFS partition). Since it was a low level error, that got me thinking. I created a library on an external plater drive, and installed it there (slow as molasis) and then moved the install to my default library.

The resolution is either A) because I installed it on a slower plater drive rather than my NVME gaming drive at first; or B) Didn't install it on my NVME Extended partition. If you look at the log files, the install doesn't use drive mappings, but lower level hardware identifications, so it's possible somewhere in the programing there's a bug or timeout. So one of the 2 is a fix.

bradjamc79
Explorer

UPDATED FIX:

I decided to narrow it down. It's not a matter of the drive speed or another drive, but rather if it's not the primary partition. I installed another game to my C:\ library that was giving me issues and moved it to my extended D:\ library afterwards, and it worked. I will be willing to bet that all of us have in common that we aren't using our C drive for our game library. Install the game to C and move it to the library you want in the settings in the Oculus app.