cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmed working PCIe type-C cards for Quest 2

Horis0nten
Level 4
Since a lot of users are reporting issues with both battery drainage and performance issues related to bandwidth when connecting the Quest 2 to a vareity of type-C ports, I thought it'd be a good idea to share what Type-C PCIe cards actually meets the following criterias:

1. Is able to keep the Quest 2 fully powered during long and demanding PCVR sessions. (At least not drain the battery instead of keeping it at a certain charge). Ps. ONLY DURING PCVR, not for keeping the Quest 2 charged when using it standalone.

2. Provides enough bandwidth to ensure a stutter free experience.

NOTE: This thread is only about listing sufficient Type-C PCIe cards. If your experience is bad because of not powerful enough graphics cards or if you're using a Type A usb connector, then that is issues for another thread.

Please share what PCIe card you have tested and can assure meets the criterias above, so that more Quest 2 owners can acheive a better PCVR experience.
30 REPLIES 30

lensmandave
Level 9
This is working great for me. Quest battery drains to 80% then stays at that percentage indefinitely.

StarTech.com PCIe USB 3.1 Card - 2x USB C 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps - PCIe Gen 3 x4 - ASM3142 Chipset - USB Type C PCI Express Card (PEXUSB312C3)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087G7T234/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB. CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER. NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE. SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive. Windows 10  64bit Professional

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I’m using the same StarTech card as above, and it performs the same for me—it lets the Quest deplete to 80% and then keeps it there. If I start with a low battery, sometimes it charges up (to 80%) while playing over Link, but sometimes it maintains the battery at a constant level without increasing the charge. 

Horis0nten
Level 4
Great, the reviews are not great concerning the drivers for Windows 10. Have you had any driver issues? Are both of you connecting it with the SATA connector? Is it even optional?

lensmandave
Level 9
You don't need to install drivers, Windows just does the business. No issues for me. SATA connector is optional but it would seem counter productive not to use it.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB. CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER. NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE. SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive. Windows 10  64bit Professional

Horis0nten
Level 4
All right perfect ? Just ordered one. I hope that it will finally solve my issues. Do you have yours in a Gen 3 pcie slot? I only have an 4X gen 2 available... But according to the Startech spec that would still give me the max 5Gbps that Oculus recommends...

lensmandave
Level 9
Yep, Gen 3 on my MB

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Yeah, a 4x PCIe slot is fine, and i don't think gen 3 vs gen 2 matters here, it's still more throughput than Link can use.

Horis0nten
Level 4
Okay ? I'll have a couple of days to think about it ? Either I'll run my rtx2060 on x8 3.0 and the Startech on the next x8 3.0. Or I'll keep my gpu on the current 16x 3.0 and put the Startech on x4 2.0...
It seems like the rtx2060 is not powerful enough to saturate a x8 3.0 lane. So I shouldn't get a performance hit in theory...

TomCgcmfc
Level 14
I have a PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) Type A+Type C Expansion Card Asmedia Chipset for Windows 7 /8/8.1/10/Linux Kernel (Type A+Type C)

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B074QK68XS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While this card works fine, it really does not seem to perform any better than with my Asus Maximus xi Hero motherboard's usb3.1 gen2 type c port.  Both work fine with my Quest 1 (now on v23) and both maintain my Q1 battery levels reasonably well   Depending on the app I end up losing ~10% charge per hour of use (and yes, it will eventually go below 80%).  This is completely manageable for me.

If I had to do it again I would have bought the Startech card mentioned by OP's and used a power connector to my pc power supply (the card I bought does not have this capability).

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on.  Cheers.

i9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, Corsair 1000w. Rift cv1, Quest 1, Vive Pro.