cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creaky - solution?

f_thomas
Explorer

Our Quest 2 is annoyingly creaky. The noise comes from the plastic frame of the facial interface rubbing against the plastic of the Quest. Is there an alternative 3rd party facial interface that has a frame made from a quieter, softer, more rubber-like material? The Oculus Go IMHO had a better facial interface - all textile, devoid of any plastic. Felt better on skin, was easily washable and no creaking. The soft strap of the Go was better, too. It was easier to adjust during use than the strap of the Quest 2 (the plastic posts of the Quest 2 strap that adjust the tension dig into the hair), it was washable (without worrying about whether a strap glued to plastic, as in he case of the Quest 2, will survive that) and it was suitable for larger heads. I'm at the maximum setting of the Quest 2 and it's not loose enough if the Quest 2 is used in a lying position, when little tension is needed. I don't understand why Oculus regresses from working solutions...

1 REPLY 1

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I have both the stock Q2 facial interface and the VR cover one.  Both are hard plastic but I don't get any creaking noises from either of these.  The only time I noticed a bit of a creaking noise was when I did not have it properly mounted (a couple of tabs were not fully engaged in the frame).  If your mounts are engaged properly but still loose, maybe try adding the eyeglass spacer and see if this helps.

I also have a fairly large head and I use rear addon pads (Esimen Q2headstrap pads from Amazon ~$10).  With these pads, together with my large head I also need to adjust the stock strap to its max length.  I don't really notice the back plastic posts at all,  Maybe because I still have a little hair back there, lol!

I also use an external 20000mahr battery pack atached to the rear strap with a couple of velcro straps.  This really help balance the Q2 very well and takes a lot of pressure off my face.  With a short (1.5ft) battery cable I can get 8-10 hours runtime if I want.  I normally find that this pack keeps my headset battery nearly fully charged and I just top off the external pack a couple times per week.

I actually find that this setup is much more comfortable than my Go.  My Go was ok but I find that the rear strap always want to ride up and the front faceplate want to slip lower on my face.

In any case, you may want to look at alternative headbands for your Q2.  There are heaps out there if you do a bit of googling.  I originally bought the Q2 Elite strap and while it was a little more comfortable I though it looked too flimsy so I returned it for a refund.  Everyones head size/shape and use is different but I'm sure you will eventually find a solution that works best for you.  Good luck mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers