cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need eyeglasses with a Quest 2?

stash.ro.3
Explorer

I'm an older guy, wear line-free multi-focal glasses with a big shot of prism combatting double vision, outer edges are just shy of 1 mm thick.  However, for anything less than about 2 feet, I take them off, am that much nearsighted.  I do a lot of detailed hobby work and reading without glasses, and works just fine.  So question is: do I need glasses with a Quest 2?  The Quest 2 lenses obviously are close up, so how does my nearsightedness come into play? 

Many thanks in advance for the assist.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lensmandave
Superstar

The Quest 2 lenses focus at around 1.5 metres. So what ever prescription you require to see clearly at that distance is the prescription to use with the headset. Simples 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I'm also a near sighted oldie (-2.25 correction) and have high index (thinner/lighter) with transition lens (+1.25).  These work great with my Q2.  They are in rimless Titanium frames (140x40mm) and these work/fit great in all my VR headsets, including my Q2.  If you have stronger bifocals for close-up reading you are probably best to get some distance-only glasses.  I use these for Golf and I find they work better.  I guess you could also look at getting custom make Q2 lens inserts but I have never found this necessary.  Also, with thin high index lens I have never even needed to use any eyeglass spacers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Many thanks for taking the time.

Hardly know what I'm talking about, but glasses are "progressives", corrections being: "-3.50 x - 2.25 x 70  6 BO prism" for right eye; and "-3.00 x - 1.50 x 119  6 BO prism" for left eye, with the near correction at lowest edge of +2.25.   I don't have high index, guess that's reason for near-1mm thickness at far edges (VA issued, so saving us taxpayers some dollars, not all bad).

Just so we're aiming at the same thing, my question centers on the VR lenses being so close to the eye, so asking why far vision problems even come into play.   Anything I do 1-1.5' close-up (detail hobby work and home repair, reading, etc.) is done without glasses, I take them off.  And the double vision thing only starts at about 10' distance.  For computer/desktop work, I use single focal-length glasses best at prox 18",  So would seem being nearsighted would negate the need for VR lenses so close to the eye.  But you do wear them, so I've obviously some wrong logic at work here.      

Current frame size measures 132mm x 35mm, so presumably if I do have to wear glasses, that's not a problem, at least width/height wise.  I understand that thickness may be another story.

What about PD, is it the "far" or "near" measure that applies.  Mine are 64 far and 61 near, so I seem to hit Q2 presets either way.

Again, many thanks.  Looking forward to finding the time to stop talking and start doing ...

lensmandave
Superstar

The Quest 2 lenses focus at around 1.5 metres. So what ever prescription you require to see clearly at that distance is the prescription to use with the headset. Simples 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

asimura
Honored Guest

I use distance lenses from WIDMOVR (other firms available) in Quest2. They are based on my driving glasses prescription, i.e distance. About £105 if use High Index, cheaper if you do not. I do not need to use the glasses spacer.

Many thanks, right on the button.  Maybe pushing my luck, but if I buy fixed focal length glasses at prox 1.5 meters, do I include the prism correction.  Optometrists I see don't seem to know much about the Q2 or VR in general, although before I push them, would help to know at least a bit of what others know.  Also, If I'm going to purchase new fixed focal length glasses, seems I'm better off just purchasing the prescription lens covers I've read about rather than framed glasses, no worries about spacers, and provides Q2 lens protection to boot.  Make sense? 

As always, many thanks for the assist.

Many thanks for the assist.  If alternative is to purchase additional glasses of single focal length at 1.5 meters, seems to make sense to get the prescription lens covers instead, avoids spacers, and protects Q2 lenses to boot.  This make sense?