cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Strap Battery discharging if left plugged into Quest 2 Headset

AndiiMan
Explorer
Following a full charge, my Elite Strap Battery Pack is going down by about 24% a day if left plugged into the Headset, despite a hard turn-off. The Headset stays at 100%. If however the strap is not connected, both batteries stay at 100% until used, so something is draining the strap battery when it is connected.
I wouldn't have thought it to be necessary to have to unplug the strap after each use, so there must be a fault somewhere.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
66 REPLIES 66

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gisbourne said:

I've has exactly the same issue and after c. 2 weeks they've now issued an RMA to replace it. It will be interesting to see if the replacement performs any differently, but my hunch is that it won't. This seems to me to be some kind of of hardware/firmware fault. Effectively the Oculus is a glorified Android device, but you don't see a mobile phone discharging a battery or power bank when it's completely turned off. The more people who report/RMA, the more seriously this issue will be taken. Ultimately I suspect a firmware update may address this assuming they can find the source of the power drain...

Well, as suspected, the new unit hasn't resolved the issue and the drain is identical to the previous battery strap (c.30%/12 hours). This is a hardware fault. My hope is that it can be resolved with a firmware update?

weenan
Protege
I don't mind unplugging it each time but the usb port on the Q2 feels really fragile, so I'm afraid it won't last very long.

guido_spleen
Honored Guest
Unfortunately I found this thread because I have the problem. It can't be good for the strap battery to completely discharge to zero. I doubt at this point that facebook has the technical skill to fix this. They botched together the code supplied by the chip manufactures and this is what we got. Maybe they will put on their big boy panties and go ask the chip suppliers for help. As this problem doesn't help them identify any marketable data on us, I doubt they have an interest in it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gisbourne said:

Gisbourne said:

I've has exactly the same issue and after c. 2 weeks they've now issued an RMA to replace it. It will be interesting to see if the replacement performs any differently, but my hunch is that it won't. This seems to me to be some kind of of hardware/firmware fault. Effectively the Oculus is a glorified Android device, but you don't see a mobile phone discharging a battery or power bank when it's completely turned off. The more people who report/RMA, the more seriously this issue will be taken. Ultimately I suspect a firmware update may address this assuming they can find the source of the power drain...

Well, as suspected, the new unit hasn't resolved the issue and the drain is identical to the previous battery strap (c.30%/12 hours). This is a hardware fault. My hope is that it can be resolved with a firmware update?

I updated/created a new ticket (the old one had conveniently been closed). I received a response saying the only option was to issue a  2nd replacement (which of course will be futile and a waste of precious resources)! However, a firmware update was also mentioned, so fingers crossed...

WarpedTrekker
Expert Protege

Gisbourne said:

Gisbourne said:

Gisbourne said:

I updated/created a new ticket (the old one had conveniently been closed). I received a response saying the only option was to issue a  2nd replacement (which of course will be futile and a waste of precious resources)! However, a firmware update was also mentioned, so fingers crossed...

What firmware update? Where to get it?
Did they say whether the drain is working-as-designed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gisbourne said:

Gisbourne said:

Gisbourne said:

What firmware update? Where to get it?
Did they say whether the drain is working-as-designed?

The exact response was as follows, which reminds me that I need to respond - problem is, all they want to do is replace it again, which seems utterly futile and as already mentioned a waste of precious resources. In view of this I'm going to ask them to keep the ticket open until their Dev team can provide a satisfactory update regarding firmware etc...

"Thank you for contacting Oculus Support.

I
understand that the elite strap that is replaced already still have the
issue and persisting, I appreciate you for letting us know with regards
to your Elite Strap issues. ;et me do my bests to help you on this.

To answer you question, we are doing everything to improve our product and hoping that it can be resolved with a firm update.

The
only way that I can do with this is to process a new replacement with
your Elite Strap since the issue is still persisting. I understand what
your feeling is, that you can't be able to enjoy your headset due to
this issues however I am here to help you with all your concerns and
questions.

With regards to your question that if it can be pass
and look further investigation due to this matter, yes I'm going to
raise it into a higher department so that we can look into this more
thoroughly.

Looking forward for your response.

Best Regards,

Loel"

ivan_evans_Ques
Honored Guest
Any update from Loel?

ER0SEN
Explorer

hi, just saying same problem here, elite strap with baterry. it drain  batery from strap even when its turned off and on one hundred percent

aguy10
Heroic Explorer

Had this problem ages ago and still do. Anyone heard anything new?.

tim-igor
Honored Guest

Facing same problem! still no fix??