cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F*ck, that actually got me excited...

LuluViBritannia
Level 9
So, I have to admit I'm really not confident in the future of VR right now. Oculus is still the only brand that interests me, but the Facebook hold is really making me hate it more and more.
Connect was cringey as f*ck.
- The socio-political talk was really absolutely not needed. It's simply not the place for that. It's a keynote, not TV news, ffs.
- Most VR games presented only had a fuckin picture. How am I supposed to be excited about that? "Look, you'll get Splinter Cell VR!". Okay, cool. Show me maybe? At least there was a trailer for Population:One, which definitely looks fun.
- Non-VR presentations weren't even prototypes. I cringed so much when they showed the glasses and said "there's no technology in it, it doesn't do anything yet, it's not for sale and not even a prototype". Cool, so it's literally just a frame. I just have to take my own glasses off if I want to see one... It was still interesting to hear their goals and how they intend to go there, but my engineer language traduction was screaming "We basically didn't do sh*t" the entire time.

I was still happy because VR was more upfront than I expected (thank god, lol).
With Quest 2, Oculus FINALLY makes sense from a commercial point of view. The launch of the Rift was a cold shower as they waited the last second to reveal the price, and it was retarded to launch both the Quest and Rift-S at the same time in May. But Quest 2? It's a fair price, it looks like a great step-up (despite the compromises on the screen...), and it launches on October, meaning people know what they'll ask for Christmas, lol! Of course it won't be a perfect headset (it's retarded to expect that anyway), but I honestly believe I'll buy that one... if the post-launch reviews aren't demoralizing, lol.

I'm also really excited about Infinite Office. Although games are nice, they're just one part of the true purpose of VR. Virtual Reality truly is the next computing platform, and Infinite Office really feels like one giant step towards that goal.

Anyway, I just wanted to post my thoughts.
Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
- Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
- Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
- More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
- Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
3 REPLIES 3

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
The only thing I found really cringe-worthy was Mark pretending to press a mute button.
But even that was nowhere near as bad as the Nvidia conference where the CEO and an engineer started arguing behind the curtains and forgot to mute their mics. 🙂

Infinite Office does sound interesting.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

LuluViBritannia
Level 9
@kojack : Lol, it happened for real? I missed that one, do you have a link?
Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
- Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
- Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
- More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
- Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Jensen (CEO) was doing the keynote while an engineer was off camera controlling the background footage. He accidentally jumped a few slides ahead in excitement. Jensen got up him. I think it happened again, and Jensen told him he might as well just talk about that later stuff. So the engineer did, excitedly started talking about the new vr rendering features (think this was either the 900 or 1000 series launch, probably 900). Jensen then angrily tells him he was being sarcastic. (This is all on stage). Jensen walks off stage and they start arguing with their mics still on. Then the mics mute.
Extremely awkward. At least that's how I remember it happening, it was a while ago.

Jensen is extremely boring in product launches, he craps on and on way too long about useless marketing stuff before they get to the good details. Regardless of what I think of him as a human or business man, Mark is a good live presenter, I've always enjoyed his keynotes. He seems genuinely excited by VR (despite his company doing everything it can to piss off Oculus fans).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2