cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face mask face cover

nikkihaley1
Honored Guest

The face mask irritates my face. Is their another mask available. I don’t want to return it. 

Thanks

Nikki Haley

18 REPLIES 18

@Pixie40  After a bit more research I found that the problem with the VR Cover facial interface was that I was mounting the pad too low and this was blocking the Q2 light sensors.  I raised the pads so that the top pad was even with the plastic interface and now all's well.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

That can't be it. I make sure the pads are lined up to begin with. Unless you mean the interface bracket it's self, which only has one position for being installed.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Shifting the top pad up a bit fixed this for me and quite a few others on Reddit.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

Shifting the top pad up a bit fixed this for me and quite a few others on Reddit.

Did nothing to help me. I'd already had the pad aligned perfectly (or as good as you can) with the interface. My inner OCD wouldn't allow anything else. Removing the nose piece though appears to be fixing things though, for now. I didn't know you could remove the nose piece.

@Pixie40  You maybe need to tone down your OCD and offset the top pad so it's ~2mm higher than perfectly centred on the top of the plastic interface.  The VR cover pads (both of them) are soooo nice cushy.  I'm using the thicker comfort one because I wear glasses and use the 68mm position ipd setting.  Like the original foam facial interface with the glasses spacer, this helps avoid left/right vertical black bars, without significantly reducing FOV.  You cannot use the OG Q2 glasses spacer with the VR cover interface but the thicker comfort pad works great for me.

Removing the VR cover nosepiece was one of the first things I did.  The instructions were included in the box, but who reads those, lol!  I like to be able to peek a bit, esp. with sims, and it improves ventilation, reducing fogging.  I don't think this has much, if any, effect on blocking the Q2 light sensor though.

Sorry to hear on other threads that you are having nothing but problems with Link and Air Link.  Both of these w/v28 are working perfect for me.  I'm using my Q1 wired with the official Link cable and my Q2 wireless w/Air Link.  I have a nvidia rtx3090 so I probably cannot comment on your AMD gpu except to say that it seems that AMD tends to have more problems than nvidia with VR (esp. with sims).  I believe the usual fix for AMD is to roll back to more stable amd gpu drivers.  If you do a bit of google research you'll hopefully find one that works ok.  Good luck and cheers mate.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Oh no, my inner OCD doesn't demand the pads be centered. You don't want to know how long I spent making sure the inner edge of the pad was exactly even with the interface's edge. And it annoys me that near the nose part of the pad hangs out in the air due to the interface being narrower then the pad.

I tried using the thicker pad, intending to use it as a replacement for the glasses spacer. Only I found it was too thick, and was squeezing the arms of my glasses. Since these are old and really need to be replaced (**bleep** pandemic), the metal is already showing signs of fatigue. I don't need to put any more pressure on where the arms connect to the frame. It looks like the VR Cover interface is a bit deeper then the standard one, so combined with even the thinner pad there's enough clearance for my glasses.

It seems fine anyway though. Mind you, I do need my glasses in VR if I want to read anything.

Peter_N
Explorer

I bought a silicone mask cover from Amazon for several bucks and it works just fine: more hygienic, easy to clean and blocks light better than just the stock case.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Been eying one of those since the VR Cover one keeps giving me trouble. A bonus is the one I'm looking at also comes with a lens cover. Why doesn't the Quest 2 (or Quest 1, or any other VR headset for that matter) actually come with a lens cover?!

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

After a bit more testing, I think I see part of the problem. VR Cover's facial interface pads are really comfortable, but also too squishy. WIth the thin pad, it can squish down in a way that blocks part of the light sensor, making the Quest think there is a lens cover in place. With the thick pad this is even more of a problem, and requires you to be careful when putting the HMD on and when adjusting it to avoid. The thin pad also has an issue of shifting around too much when damp due to sweat. And since the vents aren't quite big enough, this can happen even if just browsing the internet.

It seems like the Quest 2's light sensor is a bit more sensitive then the Quest 1's light sensor if it reads the pad being squished down as a completely covered lens.

Meanwhile the stock interface is comfortable and stable, initially. But it's not really cleanable. And as it absorbs sweat it becomes really nasty. In fact it starts to feel disgusting to touch. Plus over time it becomes increasingly more rough on the skin as it's used. This quickly creates a situation of it feeling like filthy sandpaper on your skin.

Why did Oculus go with an absorbent foam for the facial interface, again? I'd have thought they learned that lesson before.