cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Accounts please!

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
Let me start by saying that i am looking forward to the Quest and cannot wait for the release!
But there are some concerns about Game Sharing and Accounts

I once installed Oculus Home to test ReVive, but that never really felt good(issues with controllers and performance with Vive and WMR), so i did not buy games from the Oculus Store  - all my games are on Steam.
I now own a WMR Headset, PSVR and the Go. I can play cross platform games together with my family just fine.

Now i want to buy 2 Quests(maybe a third down the line if my SO likes it and wants to join in). Since there is no Cross-Buy between Go and Quest i have to buy everything again. For example - i already have Thumper on PC, PSVR and Go, so i would have to buy it a fourth time and a fifth(and maybe even sixth) time when my son wants that game too.

This will get really expensive down the line, so i would like some form of family accounts at least. 
My son also owns a PS4 and we set up a family account so that he can play the games that i bought and this also includes my SO. We can also play Multiplayer games together.
Please make something like those account for the Quest, because otherwise i don't know if we jump unto the Quest.

35 REPLIES 35

ShocksVR
Superstar
Oculus Quest has CrossBuy with Oculus Rift.

For most games, if you bought the Rift version from Oculus store, then you'll get the Quest version for free (participation is actually up to developers, but most devs are opting into CrossBuy).
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
Yeah Cross-Buy isn't helping me because there is no cross-buy between Go and Quest. I did not use Oculus Home with my Vive or WMR Headset(only tested some games with ReVive), so i have to buy EVERYTHING again.

Cross-Buy also will not solve the Family Account issue. I still have to buy everything twice or more if i want to play multiplayer games with my family.

What's even worse about Cross-Buy? If i have the same account on Quest and Rift - i will not be able to play Multiplayer games between Rift an Quest. Family Accounts are a must in this case. 

Nikorasu
Adventurer
um wtf? did my reply get deleted?
I was basically trying to say.. they should offer an option on our Quests/Gos, to enable a Guest-user mode.
Once I get a Quest, one of my family members will probably start using my Go more.. So it would be nice if they could still play all the games/apps on my account, but not using my avatar/onlineID.. So if for example, if I wanna connect with them using an App like BigScreen to watch a movie in VR with them, or play any other cross-compatible online game, they would appear as their own avatar, even tho the headset they're using is still technically on my account. That way we can play together without having to repurchase a lot of software.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Eispfogel said:

Yeah Cross-Buy isn't helping me because there is no cross-buy between Go and Quest. I did not use Oculus Home with my Vive or WMR Headset(only tested some games with ReVive), so i have to buy EVERYTHING again.

Cross-Buy also will not solve the Family Account issue. I still have to buy everything twice or more if i want to play multiplayer games with my family.

What's even worse about Cross-Buy? If i have the same account on Quest and Rift - i will not be able to play Multiplayer games between Rift an Quest. Family Accounts are a must in this case. 

When you buy a playStation game or PC game are you able to have multiple people playing online at once?

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
Yes - that is what Family Accounts are all about 🙂
We 3 can play the same games together. Like Diablo 3. I Can play on my PS4 and my wife and son can play splitscreen(or rather Couch Co-Op) on their PS4. All on the same family account and only i bought the game.
I have the main account and buy all the games(and have to be Online all the time to play my games on PS4). The other PS4/Accounts can then download games from my account and play it at the same time as i do. 

You don't want to share that with strangers though as you give them full access to your account - it really is only for Family Members and it works just fine. Something like that on Rift/Quest would be awesome. 

Another thing that interests me is....can i play between Rift S and Quest on the same account? I guess i have to write to the guys who already received both Headsets like Nathie or VRO to get an answer for that.  

pyroth309
Visionary
How does the crossbuy work? Is it auto? or is there something you have to initiate?

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
So i read they look into Multi User Accounts, which is a good thing!
Until then i hoped for another thing i could do.

I wanted to set up another account for my son and just buy everything again....BUT i cannot gift games....
Since i cannot gift games i have o add my payment method to his account - this is not going to happen.

I really hoped that they add that, but when the store opened for quest i could just buy the games for myself(unless i missed something).

Please Oculus do something about that i want to play with my son..why do you make it so hard 😞

FlakMagnet
Adventurer

For most games, if you bought the Rift version from Oculus store, then you'll get the Quest version for free ...

I definitely wouldn't say "most games". I have a number of games that do not support cross-buy.

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
So i just collected some more Threads from Reddit Users and a link to the latest f.reality podcast which are showing that we really need Family Accounts/Multi User Accounts:

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bsuxk4/multiple_headset_frustration/
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bsxjqo/family_accounts_game_sharing/

F.Reality Podcast(Timestamp: 1:16:13)
https://youtu.be/LfsfQwRSEOQ?t=4573

So you can see there is a real demand for that. And this is also something you need when you target 1 billion sold Headsets, because for now i only bought one, because i don't have use for a second and third when i cannot share games/gift games and change users.