cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Accounts please!

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
Let me start by saying that i am looking forward to the Quest and cannot wait for the release!
But there are some concerns about Game Sharing and Accounts

I once installed Oculus Home to test ReVive, but that never really felt good(issues with controllers and performance with Vive and WMR), so i did not buy games from the Oculus Store  - all my games are on Steam.
I now own a WMR Headset, PSVR and the Go. I can play cross platform games together with my family just fine.

Now i want to buy 2 Quests(maybe a third down the line if my SO likes it and wants to join in). Since there is no Cross-Buy between Go and Quest i have to buy everything again. For example - i already have Thumper on PC, PSVR and Go, so i would have to buy it a fourth time and a fifth(and maybe even sixth) time when my son wants that game too.

This will get really expensive down the line, so i would like some form of family accounts at least. 
My son also owns a PS4 and we set up a family account so that he can play the games that i bought and this also includes my SO. We can also play Multiplayer games together.
Please make something like those account for the Quest, because otherwise i don't know if we jump unto the Quest.

35 REPLIES 35

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
Since they went with the Facebook Account requirement they stated, that the Quest 2 will support multiple Accounts.
You can read more about that here:
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-to-introduce-multiple-users-per-device-using-facebook-accounts/

The thing is...my son isn't old enough to have a Facebook account and my wife will not use any Social Media Account either....So that is no Option for us. 

However...we don't know yet if this translates to family accounts. It is not yet known if another account is able to play the games on that Quest.

I will just sit back and see what happens. I can't buy a Quest 2 in germany anyways thanks to Facebook...

Ideally I think they'd need a dual approach.

Firstly, have the ability for multiple people to use their Facebook accounts on any given headset with full social functioning.

And secondly, to have the facility for one account to be a 'family manager' type account whereby that account holder is designated responsible for whoever uses it in that family. They set up the subsidiary user slots for the rest of the family and confirm their age. The manager account holder is the only one able to use the social functions of the headset. But the other family members can have user slots available for game saves etc. and can use age relevant apps/games, dependent on the manager's age declarations.

Too complicated? I guess we'll find out how they solve it before too long.

gerryhernandez
Explorer
I’m just trying to figure out how to hand my Quest 2 to my wife so she can play Beat Saber and have our health tracking info be separate. 

Also, I’d love to bust out the VR at parties. It’s always a hit. But what am I supposed to do; a factory reset everyone wants to put the device on?

Can Facebook just make a statement already?

HaselHoof
Adventurer
I think people need to realize a few things Oculus only make a few of the games , so it would be the developers losing out.
Oculus \Facebook need people to buy HMD's Moreso than the games.
I have ordered 2 quest 2's and would love to just pay once for each game but thats naive .
But with the facebook requirement that really what's stopping facebook doing this because i could easily see happening facebook banning an account because one of the kids ran his mouth and abused everyone because he got killed in X Game and now the whole family is banned ?.

But a way to store the your high scrores etc should allow multiple profiles .

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I’m just trying to figure out how to hand my Quest 2 to my wife so she can play Beat Saber and have our health tracking info be separate. 

Also, I’d love to bust out the VR at parties. It’s always a hit. But what am I supposed to do; a factory reset everyone wants to put the device on?

Can Facebook just make a statement already?

They mentioned an upcoming multi-user feature in the same blog post where they announced the change to required Facebook accounts, although the multi-user thing was drowned out by the Facebook uproar.

And we plan to introduce the ability for multiple users to log into the same device using their own Facebook account, so people can easily share their headset with friends or family while keeping their information separate. 

When they roll out the multi-user feature, your wife will be able to sign in to the headset with her Facebook account, which will allow her to have her own profile (avatar, username, save files, health tracking info, etc.). I don’t know when they intend to implement this, but hopefully it will happen soon to coincide with the release of Quest 2 and the other account changes happening in October. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RT_Gamez_A_Lot
Explorer
What we really need is a "steam like" set-up. Single player games offer one instance that can be shared and then give us the ability to buy 2 licenses for an online multiplayer game that can play at the same time