cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Movement, Makes Guardian Appear, even if you're not close to it.

ZadyLee
Level 4
@OculusSupport

Please enable an option for turning off The Guardian Grid if the controller is moving too fast. This is annoying, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If you agree with this post, please give a thumbs up and comment to let Oculus know I'm not the only one.

Thank you in advance.
22 REPLIES 22

OculusSupport
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager
Hey @Sareh.Zady, the best place to submit feature requests like this is the Oculus User Voice website here https://oculus.uservoice.com. You can vote and comment on ideas that other people have submitted and it helps developers keep track of all the different ideas in one place. It looks like there is already suggestion for more Guardian settings on the User Voice that's been getting a number of votes. Thanks! -Rick

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

From what I can see, the algorithm that makes the boundary appear allows for the user's ability to stop the controller hitting an object, based on the combination of distance from boundary and speed of your movement. For me the boundary doesn't appear if I step back and move quickly.

Personally I think I'd rather get used to taking a step back if fast movement is involved instead of disabling this aspect of the algorithm. I have an expensive TV and a nicely polished piano!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

ZadyLee
Level 4

From what I can see, the algorithm that makes the boundary appear allows for the user's ability to stop the controller hitting an object, based on the combination of distance from boundary and speed of your movement. For me the boundary doesn't appear if I step back and move quickly.

Personally I think I'd rather get used to taking a step back if fast movement is involved instead of disabling this aspect of the algorithm. I have an expensive TV and a nicely polished piano!

You are correct, the boundary does appear when close. However, If you're not close to a boundary, and you move the controllers extremely fast... the boundary appears. Try it out... You'll see what I mean. This does not protect any of the items outside the boundary.

Patrn_Flyr
Level 3
See it in Eleven table tennis all the time.  Would prefer to have it work like CV1

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

You are correct, the boundary does appear when close. However, If you're not close to a boundary, and you move the controllers extremely fast... the boundary appears. Try it out... You'll see what I mean. This does not protect any of the items outside the boundary.

Yes, that's exactly what I described. Like I said, the algorithm takes into account both proximity to the boundary and speed of the controller, the further away from the boundary you are, the faster you can move the controller without the grid appearing. For me, one step back is enough to prevent the appearance even with the fastest of movements.

The idea is that faster movement takes a greater distance to stop and I'd stick with taking a step back I think rather than risk a wayward strike.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

ZadyLee
Level 4

Yes, that's exactly what I described. Like I said, the algorithm takes into account both proximity to the boundary and speed of the controller, the further away from the boundary you are, the faster you can move the controller without the grid appearing. For me, one step back is enough to prevent the appearance even with the fastest of movements.

The idea is that faster movement takes a greater distance to stop and I'd stick with taking a step back I think rather than risk a wayward strike.

I have tested this a number of times, and wherever I am, no matter how far from my Guardian, the same thing happens. If I'm 8 feet away from The Guardian at all times, on all sides, there is no reason why the Guardian should appear. No matter how fast my controllers are moving. I understand this system has to be made for the Mass, but at least an option to disable the grid upon fast movements should exist. There is no reason why this shouldn't be an option.

As I stated before... you could be in no danger, 8 feet away from the grid, on all sides, and it will still appear because of fast hand movements. This is an instant immersion killer, and unnecessary.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Ok in that case we're getting different behaviour from our Quests. I just tested again to be absolutely sure and one step back prevents this behaviour for me. That's about 3 feet from a boundary and it doesn't appear, even with very fast movement.

Can anyone else test please?

ZadyLee
Level 4
@DaftnDirect great idea! I appreciate your involvment. 

RHunterr
Level 5

Ok in that case we're getting different behaviour from our Quests. I just tested again to be absolutely sure and one step back prevents this behaviour for me. That's about 3 feet from a boundary and it doesn't appear, even with very fast movement.

Can anyone else test please?

Same here. The very few times fast controller movements have made the grid appear "early" for me (it hasn't happened very often), a step backwards has made it stop happening.