cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Facebook & Messenger data accessible to friends/family using your Oculus 2...crazy.

terramex
Protege
Full Facebook & Messenger data completely accessible via Oculus 2's browser or Messenger app -- think all of your (non-deleted) private conversations (text searchable), by anyone using your headset; all your likes, all your activity, all your groups, etc.

This is a crazy privacy / security concern; and there is no way to secure it or prevent it. I've only had an Oculus 2 for a day, and I'm fairly sure I'll be sending it back. Facebook is taking a step too far.

27 REPLIES 27

Pixel.Bandits
Protege
Yeah. you log into it using your facebook account. This was a pretty standard and expected step?

"It doesn't have to be as "personal" as to allow all of your FB to be exposed, with no exception or workaround." - other than the locked sign in features which can stop anybody else from accessing your user account

nalex66
MVP
MVP
So, I just tried opening the forum in my Quest 2 browser. I had to sign in, which redirected me to Facebook, but to my surprise it didn't autofill my name. I had to type in my email and password. I tried logging out of Facebook after getting signed into my Oculus forum account, and it again wants my password to sign back in.

So, I'm now not sure what the point of this thread was. It seems that if you are concerned about protecting your Facebook account from other users, you can simply sign out of Facebook in the Oculus browser.

Edit: I did get the auto-login option on subsequent returns to the Facebook page. Not sure why it didn't pop up the first or second time.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

terramex
Protege

Yeah. you log into it using your facebook account. This was a pretty standard and expected step?

"It doesn't have to be as "personal" as to allow all of your FB to be exposed, with no exception or workaround." - other than the locked sign in features which can stop anybody else from accessing your user account

What "locked sign in" features allows someone to use games, etc., on the Oculus, while protecting the owner's FB messenger (for example) privacy? What are you talking about? You're talking shite. Can you please read -- and understand -- a thread, before commenting.

nalex66 said:

So, I just tried opening the forum in my Quest 2 browser. I had to sign in, which redirected me to Facebook, but to my surprise it didn't autofill my name. I had to type in my email and password. I tried logging out of Facebook after getting signed into my Oculus forum account, and it again wants my password to sign back in.

So, I'm now not sure what the point of this thread was. It seems that if you are concerned about protecting your Facebook account from other users, you can simply sign out of Facebook in the Oculus browser.

Edit: I did get the auto-login option on subsequent returns to the Facebook page. Not sure why it didn't pop up the first or second time.
You cannot "sign out" in the browser. Nor have I ever had to enter a username or password. The option to "Sign in as XYZ" -- to Facebook, messenger, or any Facebook Oauth-enabled site, has always been there and is not removable.

So although you're not "sure what the point of this thread was", I am.

terramex
Protege

So, the new multi-account feature is here. It is good in the sense that you can have several accounts locked with a pin. However, most apps have sharing turned off, would you believe -- and the developers have the option to opt out. So, uh, like, the second account basically has no access to your apps. Oh, and, you can't even tell, when purchasing an app, if it will be shareable or not! Such fun!

So basically...still almost useless. Yay! 

So, again, for the 10th time, if I want to let my 14 year old niece play Beat Saber, I also have to give her access to 15+ years of my FB data. Yep, Beat Saber is one of those apps that opted-out, hoping for more money. Oh, and its owned by Facebook too...so... well, are you surprised?

terramex
Protege

So "Messenger" trickled in to my Quest 2, with the inaccurate, misleading suggestion that if I share my Quest 2 with family and friends, I can simply "logout" (which I did), and it would be safe/secure. I would be forced to enter my username and password to log back in. Yes, that works. Secure? Private? Not in the slightest. All anyone needs to do is click Browser and browse to facebook.com (or any site using Facebook oauth) for full access to everything including Messenger -- no choice, no workaround, no warning.

You couldn't make this stuff up. Sort it out Facebook -- stop releasing half-thought-out untested narrow-sighted rubbish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I share 100% of @terramex concerns. Also thank you @terramex for pointing out a workaround of how users can still access fb and messenger via a web browser.

I think they have fixed the browser concerns too, not sure in which update.

I take it back. It's worse than ever now.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?