cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth VR on Oculus Quest 2

Oculistica
Honored Guest
Just created this forum to see how many people are keen to have Google Earth Vr natively supported on Oculus Quest 2. Also to understand if Quest 2 is capable of supporting Google Earth VR natively.

Thanks in advance for your replies and interest on the topic
11 REPLIES 11

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
This gets ask a zillion times, lol!  No, Quest (1 or 2) does not have enough processing power to run Google Earth VR standalone.  It does run it well if you use Link and have a good gaming PC.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Oculistica
Honored Guest
Thank you so much.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Unfortunately Google have abandoned VR and mostly abandoned Google Earth (they only want the web browser version around, they don't seem to like the desktop or VR versions). So even if the Quest 2 could run it (it could, at least at lower quality terrain detail, if Google put some effort into optimising), Google wouldn't be interested in making a Quest version. They never even made a version for their own Daydream platform.

It's unfortunate, Google Earth VR is awesome.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

johnnybpena
Honored Guest

kojack said:

Unfortunately Google have abandoned VR and mostly abandoned Google Earth (they only want the web browser version around, they don't seem to like the desktop or VR versions)

It's unfortunate, Google Earth VR is awesome.

That is actually not at all true. Google may have abandoned their take on VR in general, yes, however Google Earth is used widely on desktop specifically for use with its Google Earth Engine and Earth Studio! I've use Earth Studio and let me tell you... its only becoming more and more incredible. Its exclusive to those in the industry of "education" or "video animation" etc. But please... trust when I say Google doesn't want the web browser version around only. And they most definitely haven't abandoned Earth. VR...? Yeah, i can see them collaborating with others. But their whole VR vision is gone. lol 

CameraTraveler
Explorer
There are some alternatives such a Wander that is similar to Google Earth and but with the added benefit of it actually being multiplayer. Hoppin' is another one that is available on the Oculus Go and they are currently looking for funding for a Quest port.

What?  That doesn't make any sense.  Google Earth has been running on smart phones for at least the past 10 years.

@apelio  And maybe Smart People know the differences, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Yes. And you are not one of them. Of course the Oculus Quest is technically more than capable of running something like Google Earth VR. 

Ah just forgot: -> LOL. 

BensHere
Honored Guest

So, fellow Oculus 2'ers: Aside from Wander, NatGeo, EcoSphere, Realities, Flow, and Alcove, are there any actual Google Earth competitors available for the Quest 2 (SANS PCVR) that have a similarly smooth "flying" experience, that is more than the "flat" 360 VR videos that some people claim to be Google Earth competitors? Or is my only option for an experience like that to plug or stream from a PC?