cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Stutter.

RattleKat
Explorer
0k, I'm desperately hoping some of you more experienced VR users can help me out here. So, I first bought a quest around 8 weeks ago. It's the first VR I've ever owned and I was completely blown away. Couldn't believe the immersion and how well everything worked, except for a strange defect on one of the lenses that caused a discolored patch, and a constant crackle in the speaker that would not go away. I contacted Argos where I purchased and they were more than happy to swap but had no 64GB Quests in stock, so I end up paying an extra £100 to swap for a 128GB. 

Getting home with my brand new headset, I couldn't wait to set it up and get playing but when I reinstalled my games I noticed a LOT of stuttering that I'm sure wasn't present on the other headset. I'm wondering if perhaps it's normal for Quest, but on my first headset I never even thought about it. In 5 weeks of playing I'd always been amazed how smooth everything was and had no motion sickness. With this new headset I often get sickness and seem to notice constant slow-down. Strangely it seems if I look at an object, or my virtual hands to the left, right, or above me, everything runs smooth, but at certain point in front or below me, the stuttering kicks in. I'm playing in the exact same conditions so it shouldn't be environmental. I'm willing to conclude that the first headset was the same and I was just so awe-struck by the tech that I didn't notice and I only had a couple of games then so can't compare performance between headsets. I was hoping I could post a few specific game situations and you guys could tell me if you experience that same?  

Vader Immortal dojo: very jittery hands, especially before picking up the saber.

Space pirate trainer: Often freezes and slows down. 

Gun Club VR: Mostly ok on ranges but holding the gun in front of the menu screen or fitting accessories the stutter is ridiculous! The gun moves across the screen in what  looks like 3 frames. Some ranges are unplayable in sections. 

Apex Constuct: Severe ghosting on all moving objects. 

These are just a few I can think of at the minute. As well as this, the system seems to have a hard time loading games in front of me; they often appear to the left or right and it's hard to reset the view correctly. 

I'd really appreciate any information from other players. If this is just how the Quest performs I can live with it as for the majority of the time, it's still a lot of fun. However, I'm worried I've paid extra money to end up with a headset that is no where near as good as the first one. I wish I'd of stuck with the speaker crackle as the games seemed to play so much better.    
6 REPLIES 6

Techy111
MVP
MVP
No that doesn't sound right at all mate. Are you playing in a well lit room or with mirrors/reflections in view ? Go back to Argos and tell them the headset is faulty and try one more time. If still jittery then something strange is going on.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RattleKat
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it was right as I'm sure I would have noticed on the first headset. It's a shame as I really love the VR experience. I'm currently talking to Oculus support so hopefully can sort it. The environment is well lit with no reflective surfaces so I don't think it's that. And I'm in the exact same spot I used the first headset in. 

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Maybe just a dodgy unit then fella, good thing about Argos is they are no quibble, great store.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RattleKat
Explorer
Well, still no luck and after being advised for the 3rd time to factory reset I gave up and closed the ticket. Just got journey to the gods which I love but again, stuttering hands/weapons. Maybe it's normal for the game though? If you have this game, do you get the same? 

BusLee
Honored Guest
I realise a stuttering in different games too. I think it started with the firmware 8.0. Before that everything was fine. You can find different users having the same problem. I hope this will get fixed with next update!

RattleKat
Explorer
I really hope so. I don't want to go through all the hassle of exchanging headsets again only to find its the same. But the stuttering is bad enough to completely ruin my playing experience.