cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Creating a Network for AirLink on Oculus Quest 2

ToniBDL
Explorer

Hi, I have an Oculus Quest 2 256GB, a gaming laptop with Wifi-6 and I intend to have the Oculus Airlink configured for the communication between these 2 devices.

The problems are:

1-I have a ground line telephone that is connected to the router

2-The internet still comes from a RJ11 cable from the street

3-The router of my house is this INTENO DG200A ( link ) , which has only the Wifi Standards 802.11b , g and n (so no Wi-Fi 6) and no 5Ghz, so I would need to substitute it.

The Wifi6 routers today (with dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz) at least ) don't have RJ11 port for telephone anymore (at least I have not found a single one in Europe with this, and the one I found a while ago was wholesale in AliBaba).

Because of this I was considering creating a network of Wifi 6 (and 5Ghz) inside the main one i have, made just for using this Oculusquest 2 via Airlink.

Has anybody here had a similar problem and solved it this way? How it worked?

Does anybody here know where I can find a tutorial to configure the right way a network for Airlink inside the original network of my home , considering it will be used only for communication between Oculus and the gaming laptop?

Also, any recommendation for good routers with Wifi6 and Dual Band (2.4 and 5Ghz) to work well for this Quest with Airlink connection?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16

lensmandave
Superstar

The best solution, which I have set up, is to purchase an additional router to use as a dedicated access point for your Quest. You use ethernet cables to connect the new router to your ISP router and connect the new router directly to your laptop, You then configure the new router to be an access point. Here is a video showing a similar setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUaEAXpxul4

I used this router:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089YXY2YH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

thank you for your answer and links! It seems a very good suggestion for a router (and I wonder if the one in the video also do the trick). So, besides being 5Ghz (or dual-band) and Wifi6, is there any other specification I should look for when selecting a router? I'm total noob on this, so I just don't want to buy the wrong device. 

lensmandave
Superstar

The important thing is 5Ghz and it has to be Wifi6. This guy sums it up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afZPlBVpM5I&t=131s

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

What you have is a Modem/Router combo from your Internet service provider (ISP.) The Modem is the RJ11 bit. First call them and see if they would upgrade you to a new WIFI 6 device, this might be worth it because they probably subsides the rental of the unit as part of the contract. 

If that doesn't seem feasible, then look for a Router with WIFI6 capabilities, which you will plug into the ISP modem/router. If you go with the second option, I recommend you log into the ISP modem/router and turn off the WIFI feature.  I also recommend, if possible to hard wire your PC to the router and leave bandwidth for your headset. Both units need to be connected to the same router.

Hope this helps.

mbloof
Explorer

The quick and easy solution is to purchase a Wireless AC router and connect its WAN port to your old router. Then cable your laptop to one of the LAN ports on the new router.

Optional, you can go ahead and disable the WIFI on your laptop while it is hardwired and you can disable the 2.4Ghz radio in the new router so as not to conflict with the wifi in your old router.

The new wireless AC router will likely have Gigabit LAN+WAN ports and your modern laptop likely does as well so they will connect at 1Gigabit speed. How high a speed your Quest2 connects to the new router will depend on how close you can place the new router to the area you want to play games.

Have fun! Wireless VR is a blast!

ToniBDL
Explorer

Thanks for the answers. I'm leaning to buy the Asus rt-ax55, while I'm still considering the TP-Link Archer AX20.
The data transfer speed of Asus is 1200Mb/s, while TP-Link's is 1800.
Does it make a big difference, or to Oculus Quest 2 this doesn't make much of a difference?

thanks for the clarifying video.  I'm leaning to buy the Asus rt-ax55, while I'm still considering the TP-Link Archer AX20.

The data transfer speed of Asus is 1200Mb/s, while TP-Link's is 1800.
Does it make a big difference, or to Oculus Quest 2 this doesn't make much of a difference?

The actual bandwidth needed for the Q2 is <300Mbits so a AC1200 router ought to be ok. I'm using a Netgear R7000 as my access point and don't have any issues. My main router/internet is a AC68U.

There's a menu somewhere in the headset that shows the connection speed/rate and my Q2 (<10' from the access point) usually is connected @866Mbits. Other side is a CAT6 1Gbit LAN.

grisgris
Explorer

Here is some info on the tech  part of How to connect one router to another to expand the network?  https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-connect-one-router-to-another-to-expand-the-network/ as others have suggested.  Asus routers are good quality routers and more importantly allow for custom builds.

However, I think you are overlooking something in the bandwidth and technical arenas - ie - if you have the intention of playing down media coming from the WAN, I doubt you have the bandwidth from your RJ11 based modem/service provider for any satisfactory frame rates/bitrates.  Funkypepper_5150 suggestion is better - upgrade your environment if possible - otherwise you are applying a networking kluge - a workaround that will cause you a number of headaches. You might also look at https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Quest-2-and-Quest/Question-about-Oculus-Link-bandwidth/td-p/86... to see how Link is actually working etc. to see that integrating your incoming infrastructure will provide you better and more transparent benefits ... especially as the future functionality of the quest 2 firmwares develop.