cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get steam vr games to actually have vr?

Panurei
Honored Guest

I'm having a lot of issues having vr games on steam to actually run as vr on my oculus quest 2. I've done what seems like all I can do; I have the oculus app on my desktop, I have steamvr installed, I've connected my headset to my desktop with a USB3 cable and have oculus link activated... and the best I have figured out from there is to have a flat projection of my monitor showing on my headset that I can't interact with. Any idea what I'm missing?

5 REPLIES 5

Only dedicated SteamVR games (like Alyx) will automatically run in VR. Others that can run in VR may need parameters adding to the command line to make them do so. What games have you tried?

Panurei
Honored Guest

The only game I've attempted to run is a submarine simulator fittingly titled 'submarine vr' that a friend gifted to me. How would I go about adding parameters to the command line? That's not a phrase I've heard before and I'm not the most tech savvy.

To add command line parameters in Steam, right-click on the game in the library and choose "Properties". in the properties box, choose "General" and there is a box named "Launch Options". You'd add any launch parameters in there.

A quick Google suggests that adding a launch option of -oculus will force Submarine VR into Oculus mode. As per https://steamdb.info/app/1742340/config/ 

Panurei
Honored Guest

Alright! adding -oculus to the launch parameters now has it showing as vr in my headset. However, now there's a problem where my controllers don't show up in game, so i'm stuck on the main menu. Doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with my controllers that could cause them to do this on their own. Any ideas?

I don't know that game so I can't really comment on the controllers but I'd suggest you try one or two free apps to verify if it's a problem with the game or with SteamVR itself. You should also try some of the free stuff in the Oculus store.