cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Oculus runtime?

kathryn-cat
Honored Guest

I would like to use OpenVR to communicate with Oculus runtime, so that OpenVR can retrieve info from the Oculus Quest 2 device. How to install the Oculus runtime? 

p.s. I might be wrong, but should I look into something like 

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-runtime

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/SteamVR-for-Linux

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

You simply need to install the Oculus Desktop app and use the option on settings/beta tab to make it your preferred option (OpenXR, not Steam OpenVR btw).  Maybe do a bit of googling to understand the diffs.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

You simply need to install the Oculus Desktop app and use the option on settings/beta tab to make it your preferred option (OpenXR, not Steam OpenVR btw).  Maybe do a bit of googling to understand the diffs.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Thanks! I would really appreciate it if you could help me clear some of the confusions here. (I might be incorrect)

Oculus Quest 2 is a type of Andriod headset that is only supported by OpenXR, not OpenVR. I have a codebase that uses OpenVR as the API, and I would like to let it communicate with an Oculus runtime, which type of Oculus might support this? (rift, quest, quest 2, go)

Could I install Oculus App on a linux machine? Or does it only supports Windows? If I cannot install the App on a linux system, is there any alternative way to install the runtime or should I switch a system?

Both are only supported with pcvr using win10 imho.  Again just do a little google research for details.

I have the oculus app installed and the beta tab does not have that option, it is in the general tab for me. It won't let me click on it tho