cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Read that update would be today

MadDugQc
Protege

I know its rolling out out but this times its got major feature link are really more optimized than VD i play vr everyday and i really don't understand this strategy of rolling update that take week , i want to force the update please give me the update i mean why we cannot just put our test in beta like the pc app. Because or Virtual desktop that are badly optimized i have to put like everything in low medium while with link cable i run the game on ultra easily because of the encoding and there no aws no it feel bad something,I love VD but i know it can be better with all these performance taken. It not normal that i run a game on ultra with my rtx 3070 OC but with when i play the same game with same setting i have 30 fps less

9 REPLIES 9

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Honestly your wrong on all accounts.

Link is the best possible outcome if you have the computer capable to run it.

Vd heavily compresses and runs at a lower quality rate because it has to transmit wirelessly

3070 oc is not that great of leap for vr 

In order to have vr run at the high levels link runs at a 2080ti is better choice or a 3090 but 3000 series has not been a consideration for oculus just yet.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition-review/4#:~:text=At%20....

vr runs at about 2k per eye, ie 4k the more you turn up in game settings the more the fps get reduced.

3070 at 4k is about 68 fps, but vr is more demanding so 30 to 50 is a better estimate.

PITTCANNA
Visionary

as far as roll outs occur a couple things to take in consideration:

server demand

bug reporting

compatibility issues

you need to update the pc app and quest 2 to fully utilize.

also planning for roll out.

MadDugQc
Protege

and understand but VD is really demanding and my version on the rtx 3070 is one of the most OC and powerful version so these number are not really accurate but what i can say is at native resolution i have no problem no jitter in ultra on almost every game except poorly optimized game that cannot be run with a rtx 3090 too or like flight simulator for example but in general everything in ultra is good but VD take me 30-40fps and beta channel can respond to all you  said : 

server demand

bug reporting

compatibility issues

Again your just flat out wrong.

being in beta channel doesn't mean anything for a public release update.

Also for vr to be truly appreacieted you need the cpu/gpu capable of encoding and rendering with plenty of overhead as to not kill your frame buffer.

When you select 90, 80, 72 you are taxing your system different, in general if you set a at 72  its a better for stability.

also the patch notes are not even released on the forums so chances of a update launching today even just for beginning roll out is  slim.

keremimo
Honored Guest

I don't get why they don't just go with a public beta with the stable version available for rollback. Even Apple does it this way. I want to use Air Link. If they are so stuck with the update why did they announce it so early? This is ridiculous.

My guardian goes crazy sometimes, even ended up with me punching a wall twice. I just want its fix. It cannot be that hard to provide. I can't use my headset like this.

Most likely its because they don't have the server capacity and architecture to do so.

My guardian has no issues, and updates have have not broken my quest yet. 

MadDugQc
Protege

-Your Understand me wrong when im talk about beta i was talk beta like steam origin or apple to get new feature at her own risk (my english really not perfect lol)

-They have the server capacity its just a managing choice doing something like would be they equivalent as adding a game in term of server usage cause you have to press a bouton to download

-For people like me that are freaking out to get game at there exact time of release or they want new feature right now they need to implant more spontaneity and put countdown to know when to not have to pass her day at checking if there are an update or if the game comes out. For game there are an approximately hour where they come out but its not like a countdown.

-For VD i do multiple test ( GPU/CPU performance , frametime reprojection ...) and without a doubt i can say that VD its not optimize as well as oculus in term of encoding/decoding VD take me 30-40 fps less than oculus link(even with the task manager trick) and for someone like me that only play and develop VR game its bad but VD its good its made by one person its totally understandable i suppose its causing by small 8gb of rtx 3070 but i want to run my game as well that i really can.

MadDugQc
Protege

Sorry now i know why vd take really more performance its simply because Virtual desktop override supersampling of steam while i play in high setting that cause problem for some game that i cannot run in ultra with this much supersampling so the only main advantage of air link is asw and is a big adventage but VD stay really good