cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm considering purchasing the Quest system but I can only see in one eye.

RickRiver
Honored Guest
Does anyone know if you need two eyes to fully appreciate and enjoy the experience including the 3D aspect?
Thank you
RickRiver
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Digikid1
Consultant
yup.  you need two eyes for depth perception.

View solution in original post

GamingTC2
Protege
Just tried with one eye closed (shooting, racing).  It works, just a little narrower field of view. 

wuzp
Rising Star
I have both congenital blindness in one eye, and deafness in one ear.  VR is just like IRL, except that with the prescription lens inserts, I don't need to wear glasses.  Now, if only someone could please develop a CROS audio driver, for the headset.

Dalrax
Honored Guest
I'm an eye doctor and I have a crossed eye - it's not blind, but my brain ignores it to prevent double vision....so I can't appreciate 3D movies and I don't have *stereoscopic* depth perception that most people have.  Stereoscopic is the best kind of depth perception, but you are unable to see that IRL or in VR.  But you *DO* have depth perception.  If you are looking at two objects and can tell if one is closer than the other, then by definition, you have depth perception.  It's just not as nice as the way 2-eyed people perceive depth.  But as another poster said, it will be the same as the way you see in your normal life - handicapped relative to a fully-sighted person, but you can definitely enjoy VR!

Thmoas
Rising Star
One eyed people might also rely more on the blurring of objects due to different focus at different distances. This is something that VR misses for everyone at this point.

9 REPLIES 9

Digikid1
Consultant
yup.  you need two eyes for depth perception.

RickRiver
Honored Guest
Thanks very much!

PattyGar1965
Protege
I only have one eye and play most games. I just move around to see. This is not working for Deep Diving VR Platinum Edition. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I just wish my wife would turn a blind eye with all my paypal charges, lol!  Sorry, bad taste.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

GamingTC2
Protege
Just tried with one eye closed (shooting, racing).  It works, just a little narrower field of view. 

wuzp
Rising Star
I have both congenital blindness in one eye, and deafness in one ear.  VR is just like IRL, except that with the prescription lens inserts, I don't need to wear glasses.  Now, if only someone could please develop a CROS audio driver, for the headset.

RickRiver
Honored Guest
thanks so much. Really appreciate the help.

Dalrax
Honored Guest
I'm an eye doctor and I have a crossed eye - it's not blind, but my brain ignores it to prevent double vision....so I can't appreciate 3D movies and I don't have *stereoscopic* depth perception that most people have.  Stereoscopic is the best kind of depth perception, but you are unable to see that IRL or in VR.  But you *DO* have depth perception.  If you are looking at two objects and can tell if one is closer than the other, then by definition, you have depth perception.  It's just not as nice as the way 2-eyed people perceive depth.  But as another poster said, it will be the same as the way you see in your normal life - handicapped relative to a fully-sighted person, but you can definitely enjoy VR!

Thmoas
Rising Star
One eyed people might also rely more on the blurring of objects due to different focus at different distances. This is something that VR misses for everyone at this point.