cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to extend my oculus link cable

ThugOwl
Explorer
I'm using the amazon basics double braided nylon USB type-C to type-A 3.1 cable (red) with the oculus link. It's working flawlessly, however I need to extend it by a couple of metres.

I purchased the Belkertech USB C extension cable type C male to female (black) but it doesn't work at all when connected to the basics cable.

I don't want to risk buying more cables if they aren't going to be compatible.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?1io9luod0bkq.jpg2rrmnnw8rsdr.jpg
9 REPLIES 9

enigma01
Trustee
I’ve been using a Ugreen USB A to C Amazon ASIN B07432T7VQ 2 metre and Ugreen USB extension 2 metre Amazon ASIN B00P0ES0YE. They worked fine for Link for me, I actually then purchased a 3 metre version of the extension (but could only find this on eBay) and that also works fine for me giving a total 5 metres. 

I can’t guarantee this configuration will work for you though as it depends on other factors too. Amazon are usually very good with returns though. 

ThugOwl
Explorer

enigma01 said:

I’ve been using a Ugreen USB A to C Amazon ASIN B07432T7VQ 2 metre and Ugreen USB extension 2 metre Amazon ASIN B00P0ES0YE. They worked fine for Link for me, I actually then purchased a 3 metre version of the extension (but could only find this on eBay) and that also works fine for me giving a total 5 metres. 

I can’t guarantee this configuration will work for you though as it depends on other factors too. Amazon are usually very good with returns though. 

Thank you. I'll try your suggestion. I'm hoping that my 90 degree male to female adapter isn't going to give me any grief tomorrow when it arrives. Fingers crossed...

The.J7
Protege
I have problems with extention cabels when using front USB3 ports, but when using those directly on the MB the extentions work. 

Just a tip if u havent tried that already.

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
You will most likely need to use and active extension cable.  It uses USB power to repeat the signal so it doesn't degrade at long lengths.  The only ones I've seen on amazon are either type A or they have an external power jack to boost the signal.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

ThugOwl
Explorer
I solved this by purchasing a powered USB hub which was long enough to extend my amazon basics cable.

RiotEd
Explorer
I use this combination! Works really well. The length is 6.8 m!

CableCreation Active USB Extension Cable (Long 16.4 FT), USB
3.0 Extender Male to Female Cord with Signal Booster Compatible Oculus Rift VR,
Oculus Quest/Link, Xbox one, etc. 5 Meters

with 

Anker USB C Charger, Powerline USB C to USB 3.0 Cable (6ft) with 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor for Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8+, S9, S10, Oculus Quest, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10 and More

and

90 Degree USB C Type C Male to Female Adapter, AFUNTA Right
& Left and Upward & Downward Angled 90 Degree USB-C USB 3.1 Type-C Male
to Female Extension Adapter for Laptop & Tablet & Mobile Phone

enigma01
Trustee

RiotEd said:

Anker PowerLine+ II USB-C to USB-A 2.0 Cable (6ft / 1.8m) ,
for Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+ / S8/S8+/Note 8, LG V20/G5/G6, and More

How are you getting Link to work with a USB 2.0 cable? Is it because your extender is USB 3.0, it's tricking the Rift PC software to think your entire cables are USB 3.0, which Link is supposed to require? The Anker cable you've mentioned is actually only really supposed to be a charging cable according to Amazon description. 

RiotEd
Explorer
RiotEd said:
Anker PowerLine+ II USB-C to USB-A 2.0 Cable (6ft / 1.8m) , for Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+ / S8/S8+/Note 8, LG V20/G5/G6, and More

Sorry, i posted the wrong cable!

I use this one!

Anker USB C Charger, Powerline USB C to USB 3.0 Cable (6ft) with 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor for Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, S8+, S9, S10, Oculus Quest, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10 and More

ThugOwl
Explorer
Now if only I could get the mic working......it was working but now it's not.