cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've noticed a few minor issues with my Quest after spending a day with it..

Nikorasu
Adventurer

So
after spending a full day with my Quest, and also getting and trying
the Oculus Earbuds today, I have a few odd issues I'd like to mention to
the community here, to see if they're common to everyone, or an unusual
flaw.. Each on their own wouldn't normally be enough for me to complain
about or get an exchange for, but I'm finding so many small issues, that it's making me worry.

The first one I noticed, was the fabric along the right side below
the headphone jack clicks when held there/pressed on, like the sound of a
sticker with a bubble under it, or tape that's not properly stuck
down.. I find myself touching that spot whenever I shift/adjust the
headset on my face to make it fit right. Not a major issue on it's own,
but it could get worse over time. And it is kinda distracting..

There's a minor brightness gradient in the left eye, when viewing
certain black screens.. Basically a lighter-looking zone covering
roughly half that screen. And one eye, I think it's in the right, seems
to have a faint green pixel on black screens, off in my peripheral
view.. Tho neither of these issues is all that bad, or noticeable unless
you're looking for it. My original Rift had similar screen issues like
these, and they eventually exchanged it for one that didn't, but this
isn't quite that bad.

There's also some odd screen tearing/glitches that can sometimes
happen at almost regular intervals (every few moments), most noticeably
in the Home menu, but also in other apps, right across the middle of my
view. As well as an occasional audio glitch, most noticeable when I
mouse over menu items in the Home menu. The audio glitch reminds me of a
similar one that used to happen with my Oculus Go, until I got a
replacement.. And it seemed to fix itself, at least for now, by
restarting the device, but not sure it's gone.

Finally, the Oculus Quest Earbuds I just got today seem to have a
noticeable static buzz/hiss that occurs in every app and Home.. Only
stopping during the transitions between apps.. I happen to also have the
Oculus Earbuds for my CV1 Rift, and they do not have any significant
buzz/static noise like this, which is why I noticed it so badly. This
was the final issue that prompted me to make this post.. 😕

46 REPLIES 46

pyroth309
Visionary

The Mura Effect is only noticable in dark scenes - it looks exactly like on PSVR. The right eye has a darker gradient then the left, which makes me feel like i am going blind. But this is only in those transitions and not visible when a game started(for me at least). I have no dead pixel this time, but you seem to have a stuck green pixel 

The Godrays however are GOD AWFUL. I cannot believe that those reviewers did not notice that....it makes the whole screen look like it is covered with some kind of smear  Very noticable in scenes with black background and white text(like when the oculus logo is displayed). I cannot understand the reviewers who said they did not notice that. It is everywhere and just as bad as on the Lenovo Explorer WMR Headset(and almost all other first gen WMR Headsets).
The lenses have a small sweetspot too so you still have to constantly fiddle around to get the best clarity(more on that later).

The Low Framerate/Hz makes me dizzy  
Just play Sports scramble and just swing whatever you have in your hand and you will see the choppy movement. I cannot play this at all  They tried to mask this with some kind of motion blur, or the thing you have in your hand gets bigger(similiar to the lightsaber in Vader Immortal), so the gaps in the rendering aren't that noticable, but i can see it and when i move my head i notice the low framerate. It feels like i look at a strobe light, or when you drive on a street and get hit by shadows from trees. very distracting and unplayable for me.

The Guardian is way to sensitive
Playing Beat Saber with this is impossible. The Guardian constantly shows up and there is noo way to configure it for now.
I would like just the outline on the floor, like on SteamVR. For now i can only disable the guardian completly or i make the boundaries so huge that the guardian doesn't make sense anymore.

I've played with mine several more hours and noticed the Mura and god rays as well. I am not bothered by the god rays though as they aren't really blinding rays like the old Rift. They're kind of a passive make the area near where they're coming from lluminated/smeared. I actually find the Sweet Spot large but I am coming from an Odyssey+ where it's tiny lol. 

The low framerate issues are real. I tried to play Creed earlier and the choppiness was making me ill. It gets so low that head tracking was getting choppy. Vader was bad for me too.

I am also having the problems with the guardian lighting up in beat saber. I got ticked off and drew the circle 3 feet into my wall.

I haven't run into any audio popping or anything like that and I find the headset fairly comfortable.

Sicktrash
Expert Protege

TheDW said:

I've noticed some of these issues, but for me the most troubling is the tendency for either the left or right controller to stop registering movement. It's frequent enough to make the games nearly unplayable. I have to stop mid-game to remove the battery from the "frozen" controller and reinsert it to get it to start working again.

Is anyone else having this issue?

My right controller is defo not as good as the left one. It's not very often but they dont act the same all the time. I think re-pairing might have helped

pyroth309
Visionary

TheDW said:

I've noticed some of these issues, but for me the most troubling is the tendency for either the left or right controller to stop registering movement. It's frequent enough to make the games nearly unplayable. I have to stop mid-game to remove the battery from the "frozen" controller and reinsert it to get it to start working again.

I'm only getting normal inside out tracking loss if the hand is out of the camera too long. I have had my hands lose positioning a couple of times in beat saber though where one will disappear until I bring my hand into the camera and after a couple of seconds reappears. 

pyroth309
Visionary

I have the sound issues, too! Only fixed by restarting the Quest.

The screen glitches / graphic bugs are the most awful bug i have. I tried to simulate it via Photoshop. They look something like this:

m12k3cwfmlgj.jpg

This "glitchy errors" dont come that often. But every time i used the Quest there appeard once ore twice. Is this a hardware error?

Might be, i have not seen anything like that on mine. Did you try rebooting it? 

Eispfogel
Expert Protege

The screen glitches / graphic bugs are the most awful bug i have. I tried to simulate it via Photoshop. They look something like this:

m12k3cwfmlgj.jpg

This "glitchy errors" dont come that often. But every time i used the Quest there appeard once ore twice. Is this a hardware error?

This issue is also present on the Go. This is also sometimes visible in the Home Menu and seems to be related to FPS drops and screen tearing. Those flashes could also be pronounced due to the fresnel lenses.

Your Quest isn't defect at least. It happens to all of us.

TheDoomGuy
Expert Protege

m12k3cwfmlgj.jpg

YES! that same thing is happening to me, also in Oculus Quest Home. Sometimes looks exactly like that and sometimes is more like a little portion of the screen is not refreshing and stays in place when moving the head horizontally, only in a fraction of a second. it's called "Tearing" right?

My question here is, is this happening to all headsets? If so, why people is not saying anything about this??
Please somebody from Oculus Team can you tell us if this is a performance issue or a hardware issue? because I was about to return my Quest until I read this forum.

louie728
Explorer

TheDW said:

I had this happen, but only once...  I didnt try to remove the battery, I just rebooted the device...

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
It happens everywhere. Just go to your Homescreen and turn around to the bookshelf. Then move your head slowly left to right and back. You should see this effect after a few movements.

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer

m12k3cwfmlgj.jpg

YES! that same thing is happening to me, also in Oculus Quest Home. Sometimes looks exactly like that and sometimes is more like a little portion of the screen is not refreshing and stays in place when moving the head horizontally, only in a fraction of a second.

My question here is, is this happening to all headsets? If so, why people is not saying anything about this??
Please somebody from Oculus Team can you tell us if this is a performance issue or a hardware issue? because I was about to return my Quest until I read this forum.

Hi Ed! They are aware of these glitches and are working on a fix. The support answered on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/brha5q/jitter_in_headset/
I have this too and I noticed that very soon. I am a bit sensitive for that kind of errors cause I hate it in computergames think of tearing with inactive v-sync. You notice that glitches in the guardian mode too. I guess, it has something to do with the tracking and this "comes through" the surface you see in the virtual reality. 

Well, why don't you hear something about fan noise, jittering, crashing apps in the reviews? Most of them are youtuber and not that big computer magzines and are glad to get some review devices 😉

But be honest: A small fan like this to cool down an overclocked chip must have some rpms to bring temperature onto a normal level. You will hear it. But some don't care, some do. Thinking of my Playstation 4 ... this thing is loud! A friend of mine got one, he never complained about it. For him it is normal. For me it was strange the first time and I thought this damn thing is defect.

And as long as you can hear your fans in your Quest, everything is okay. Only get nervous if you can't hear it, could be dangerous 😉

Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

Pickleschlitz
Expert Protege
I'm not having any of those problems. But I haven't been playing hard with it.