cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've noticed a few minor issues with my Quest after spending a day with it..

Nikorasu
Adventurer

So
after spending a full day with my Quest, and also getting and trying
the Oculus Earbuds today, I have a few odd issues I'd like to mention to
the community here, to see if they're common to everyone, or an unusual
flaw.. Each on their own wouldn't normally be enough for me to complain
about or get an exchange for, but I'm finding so many small issues, that it's making me worry.

The first one I noticed, was the fabric along the right side below
the headphone jack clicks when held there/pressed on, like the sound of a
sticker with a bubble under it, or tape that's not properly stuck
down.. I find myself touching that spot whenever I shift/adjust the
headset on my face to make it fit right. Not a major issue on it's own,
but it could get worse over time. And it is kinda distracting..

There's a minor brightness gradient in the left eye, when viewing
certain black screens.. Basically a lighter-looking zone covering
roughly half that screen. And one eye, I think it's in the right, seems
to have a faint green pixel on black screens, off in my peripheral
view.. Tho neither of these issues is all that bad, or noticeable unless
you're looking for it. My original Rift had similar screen issues like
these, and they eventually exchanged it for one that didn't, but this
isn't quite that bad.

There's also some odd screen tearing/glitches that can sometimes
happen at almost regular intervals (every few moments), most noticeably
in the Home menu, but also in other apps, right across the middle of my
view. As well as an occasional audio glitch, most noticeable when I
mouse over menu items in the Home menu. The audio glitch reminds me of a
similar one that used to happen with my Oculus Go, until I got a
replacement.. And it seemed to fix itself, at least for now, by
restarting the device, but not sure it's gone.

Finally, the Oculus Quest Earbuds I just got today seem to have a
noticeable static buzz/hiss that occurs in every app and Home.. Only
stopping during the transitions between apps.. I happen to also have the
Oculus Earbuds for my CV1 Rift, and they do not have any significant
buzz/static noise like this, which is why I noticed it so badly. This
was the final issue that prompted me to make this post.. 😕

46 REPLIES 46

Dark-o
Honored Guest

Dark-o said:

Everytime, after around 15/20 minutes, it seems the Quest gets hot enough to make me feel pain in my forehead and my forehead  warms up as if I had a fever. So I have to remove the Quest for half an hour (meanwhile, I feel like a strange little headache).
I have a playstation VR that I can use for hours whitout problems, but the Quest instead becomes like a torture machine on your head after few dozen of minutes. If I touch it with my hands it does not look so hot, but makes me painfully burn my forehead.
This also happened to other people I had the Quest try...

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

After installing the  "OVR Metrics Tool 1.3" from oculus resources, I saw that I beging  to feel discomfort when the battery temperature reaches 28ºC. If I continue to use the Quest, the temperature reach 37°C and it became painful to wear.

Indoor temperature is 20°. 

😕 

Ravenger
Expert Protege
I've had a lot of problems getting the Quest comfortable - I was getting lots of pain in the back of my head which made wearing it impossible for more than a few minutes.

I tried padding the back of the headstrap, and that helped quite a bit:

That's a cushion for a baby car seat harness strap, which is much more comfortable than the plastic back strap.

However the biggest difference was using a counterweight, in this case a battery pack:

This was just a test, hence the cable ties. I have a smaller pack on order and will attach it with velcro ties instead. Attaching this to the pad rather than the strap itself makes it very easy to take it on and off when charging or for transport.

Adding the battery pack takes all the weight off the face and makes it much more comfortable to wear, plus it allows you to charge it while wearing to extend play time. If you do this, please be careful to support the battery pack weight when picking up the headset so it doesn't place undue strain on the head strap.

Nikorasu
Adventurer
I ended up exchanging my headset with Amazon, which didn't take too long thankfully.. And although this new headset is better than the previous one.. It IS an earlier batch, and the right touch controller's battery cover slides off real easy when I play Beat Saber, compared to the previous ones which didn't..
For the most part, other than the controller, this unit doesn't have any real major issues to complain about so far.. EXCEPT 2 dead/white-spot pixels and one flickering one, visible in the right eye, but only when viewing the Passthrough mode.. If it's not unusual or not considered a problem.. then whatever, i'll ignore it.. But I'm REAL worried it might be why I still have weird tracking glitches, even with this unit. I didn't check the previous unit for this issue, but if it also had these white dots in the tracking camera, maybe that's why it was having issues too. 😕

adamrifts
Protege

Nikorasu said:

I ended up exchanging my headset with Amazon, which didn't take too long thankfully.. And although this new headset is better than the previous one.. It IS an earlier batch, and the right touch controller's battery cover slides off real easy when I play Beat Saber, compared to the previous ones which didn't..
For the most part, other than the controller, this unit doesn't have any real major issues to complain about so far.. EXCEPT 2 dead/white-spot pixels and one flickering one, visible in the right eye, but only when viewing the Passthrough mode.. If it's not unusual or not considered a problem.. then whatever, i'll ignore it.. But I'm REAL worried it might be why I still have weird tracking glitches, even with this unit. I didn't check the previous unit for this issue, but if it also had these white dots in the tracking camera, maybe that's why it was having issues too. 😕

Does this one still buzz like your first one? I just got the quest earbuds yesterday and they buzz and hiss pretty bad. My don’t headphones do it too but it’s almost not noticeable. 

Nikorasu
Adventurer

adamrifts said:

Nikorasu said:

Does this one still buzz like your first one? I just got the quest earbuds yesterday and they buzz and hiss pretty bad. My don’t headphones do it too but it’s almost not noticeable. 

Well.. I think it's not quite as bad as the previous one, but it's very hard to tell, since I didn't have a chance to do a side-by-side. So I could be wrong, but it's not bothering me too much either way.

dodob19
Honored Guest

Nikorasu said:

[...]The first one I noticed, was the fabric along the right side below
the headphone jack clicks when held there/pressed on, like the sound of a
sticker with a bubble under it, or tape that's not properly stuck
down.. I find myself touching that spot whenever I shift/adjust the
headset on my face to make it fit right. Not a major issue on it's own,
but it could get worse over time. And it is kinda distracting..[...]

My Quest has the sticky/clicky/bubble-y feel in the exact same spot (right-hand side below the headphone jack)! Glad to know I'm not the only one :smile: 

Jonjon00
Honored Guest
Does anyone get weird vision to the sides on social apps like VR chat and alt space? Seems like the rendering can’t keep up so it drops out at the sides of vision.