cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving oculus Link Performance?

MikeWoodman
Explorer

Been trying out my new PC with a quest 2 / link cable. Half Life Alyx appears to be the most problematic. I appear to meet the recommended specs, though I appreciate the quest 2 is more processor intensive. 

It started off running quite well at 90hz, but now I'm experiencing frequent stuttering.

• MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC 8GB GDDR6 Navi Graphics Card

• Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core

• 32gb ram

• Windows 10 professional, all updates installed.

• The original build didn't come with a USB3 C connector, so I added one of these: PCI-E to usb3 expansion card.

So: Things I've tried:

• Restricting the frame rate to 72hz in the oculus software, as well as lowering the resolution down to its lowest option.

• Running the game in 'low fidelity'.

• Turning off pc screen, (not sure if having the social screen running would impact on performance?)

• Updating the quest 2 to the latest system software.

Things I haven't tried:

• Using a different USB port with a USB3 compliant adapter for the link cable rather than using the USB3 C port added on the expansion card. 

• Messing around with the oculus debug tool to any degree. I tried experimenting with this but quickly got out of my depth. Ps: is there a way to reset to default settings? Finding a screenshot of the latest builds default settings is tricky.

I'm pretty green when it comes to experimenting with anything more complex that the above so all help and advice gratefully received.

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Been trying out my new PC with a quest 2 / link cable. Half Life Alyx appears to be the most problematic. I appear to meet the recommended specs, though I appreciate the quest 2 is more processor intensive. 

It started off running quite well at 90hz, but now I'm experiencing frequent stuttering.

• MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC 8GB GDDR6 Navi Graphics Card

• Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core

• 32gb ram

• Windows 10 professional, all updates installed.

• The original build didn't come with a USB3 C connector, so I added one of these: PCI-E to usb3 expansion card.

So: Things I've tried:

• Restricting the frame rate to 72hz in the oculus software, as well as lowering the resolution down to its lowest option.

• Running the game in 'low fidelity'.

• Turning off pc screen, (not sure if having the social screen running would impact on performance?)

• Updating the quest 2 to the latest system software.

Things I haven't tried:

• Using a different USB port with a USB3 compliant adapter for the link cable rather than using the USB3 C port added on the expansion card. 

• Messing around with the oculus debug tool to any degree. I tried experimenting with this but quickly got out of my depth. Ps: is there a way to reset to default settings? Finding a screenshot of the latest builds default settings is tricky.

I'm pretty green when it comes to experimenting with anything more complex that the above so all help and advice gratefully received.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been playing with an RX5700xt/Quest 2 for a month and just got 100% wireless working over Virtual Desktop 5ghz wifi. 
The 5GHZ wireless works very well. I think it performs better than the Oculus Link.

I think many are confusing latency problems with frequency halfling when the PC frame rate fluctuates below 72,80 or 90. It will stutter every time the display frequency swaps between half to full or vise versa. It also looks a bit clunky when it's running at half speed too. I tried forcing 45hz and it was consistent but gave me a headache. 45hz just aint cutting it for VR, let alone 36. The bottom line is that you need a good buffer zone to keep your video card from hitting 100% usage. How much depends on the performance spikes of any given title. 90fps is awesome but 72fps is much easier to hit consistently and it still looks great. The frequency issues mentioned above happen on both OLink and VDesktop.

Games like Racket NX run flawlessly with max in game settings and high streaming settings. Zero stuttering. It's impressive actually. NX Looks way better when streamed via PC than it does on the Quest.
Squadrons: Low and maybe some medium settings in game and low to mid for streaming quality as well. I struggle with this because it looks amazing when the graphics are cranked.  I need about a 20%-30% buffer for Squadrons.

It will really just come down to fine tuning each side of the process for each title you run.

NoahPlayz07
Explorer
hey so I got oculus link working on my GTX 1050 laptop and all but when I try to turn off anti aliasing or enable VR layers when I hit the trigger to turn it off nothing happens sometimes it flicks off but a split second later it turns back on is it just my poop luck or am I doing something wrong