cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase the Link resolution with debug tool

ohgrant
Superstar
I ran into this on YouTube and it's making a bigger difference than using super sampling in the Quest. I need to retest SS again with the new setting. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHVtJ4Keig
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.
10 REPLIES 10

Sofian75
Expert Protege
How are you super sampling inside the Quest? I thought Oculus disabled those mods.

ohgrant
Superstar
 Oculus disabled mods for Quest? I don't think so, possibly for the Beat Sabre customization because of copy write infringement.. 
 This is just changing a value in the PC Oculus software using their debugging tool. 
Super Sampling is not disabled either, use Oculus tray tool for Oculus games and Steam VR settings for SS in their apps. SS is more apparent in apps that really need them here like IL2.. Doesn't really look so good without SS @ 2.0
  To the best of my understanding, the value change in the debug tool increases the resolution that the image is being encoded and streamed to Quest, I would think that if an app doesn't support that resolution it would be the same as SS. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Sofian75
Expert Protege
Not the one done on the PC side.
I thought you were talking about this SS:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bxwkn2/oculus_quest_supersampling_x2_why_you_need_to_t...

ohgrant
Superstar
 I believe they are referring to using PC based SS for streaming via Alt VR. from PC. I was streaming to my Quest with Rift Cat and virtual desktop before the link cable came out. I haven't had a chance to test out the effects of SS in a wi-fi streaming scenario yet. 

Sofian75
Expert Protege
No, it was all done by the Quest.
I used it for some time then it stopped working.

ohgrant
Superstar
 Well if you find it let me know. 

Sofian75
Expert Protege
Ok, just tried it and actually the technique in the link I posted is working.
I am going to see what difference it makes with link and PC games compared to PC SS.

ohgrant
Superstar
 I would think that SS would need to be sampled from the source to be most effective. Since they're independent from each other try using both. at the same time.
 Is that app on sidequest?  

Hmm I found this.  Downloading the zip now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh1NfLwNMaQ

Sofian75
Expert Protege
Indeed "encode resolution width" at 3268 does make a big difference, but you still need SS, x2 is great.
The hardware display of the Quest is much better than people think.