cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent WiFi Issues with Quest

Doc_Ox
Honored Guest
I've had my Quest for a couple of days now.  I seem to be having intermittent wifi connection issues with the headset.   It loses connection and the dialog box shows a peculiar message about the password being incorrect.  I can confirm that the password 'is' correct.  The signal strength in our house is excellent, and the Quest device itself shows that the wifi strength is excellent.  We're using a relatively new Netgear Orbi mesh wifi system. 

In only a few total hours of using the Quest the last two evenings, this has occurred probably at least 5-6 times.  Considering how reliant the Quest experience is on having wifi, this is actually a pretty big nuisance.

I've confirmed that there are no updates available for the Quest, and I've tried rebooting it and hard-resetting it.  Nothing seems to help.  To (temporarily) fix it, I have to toggle off wifi on the Quest, wait a few seconds, and then re-enable it.  Then it connects successfully for about 15-30mins until it occurs again.

Anyone else experience this and have a fix?  Or should I send an email to Oculus support directly?
14 REPLIES 14

RagingAvatar
Protege
I'm still having issues with my Mesh Wifi network.
Wifi frequently disconnects even within short sessions. 😞

softtouchph
Explorer
I also have the disconnection issue. Why would I rename my SSID's just to get the quest to work when all other devices in my network have no issue at all (including a ton of smart home devices)? That's definitely a bug in the quest firmware and should be fixed by oculus.

jonsmith7
Honored Guest
Those who are using the WiFi device are well experienced about that there are a common issue with the WiFi device. Sometimes the devices connected with WiFi can't work. It also happens with the WiFi connected printer also. It also happens with my printer HP Designjet T520. But most of the time the issue gets resolved when I do restart the printer.

tateconcepts
Protege
@Doc_Ox - I wish I knew an easier means to break this to you but I'm strongly inclined to inform you that I concur with what I'm reading. "Mesh" networks for consumers are a "band-aid" to an already existing issue. I've installed wireless systems about 15 years back when it was the "thing" to have for my affluent clients. I had one that demanded his 802.11g (he had wireless b before that too) - so perfect that he could take a bio break and not lose connectivity. Then again he had sometimes $500k USD on the line so it was not an unreasonable request. I guess the point here is that too many take this for granted. Wireless features with consumer ease of install were never meant for what you are doing. 

Toss the word mesh out the window. Think, repeater (or cable extensions.... is a good analogy too) because that's what your system does. It repeats a messy signal and many times, attempts to saturate your "space" around you with that coverage. I also know some also offer auto channel adjustments. I also recommend to break out your wireless phone and do a site survey. If you don't know what this is, watch some YouTube videos or something. I also recommend you employ some form or network auditing/logging (most consumer devices do not support this, but small business versions sometimes do). Once you know what's around you, on what channels and at what power or dB it is, you can then redesign your network. I feel I've read some other stories on here about DHCP or network lease conflicts also causing this (I don't believe you are informed of this in the UI and same goes for DNS issues). I really don't think latency is too much at play here (but I can say that even 20ms or more, totally fine for email, browsing, social media) is terrible for VR.

There is something I did take note of, I noticed there is a firmware update that addresses the following for your device. (There is also Oculus updates as well but those should be automatic).

Bug Fixes:

• The client was not able to obtain an IP address when the router rebooted or the client renewed the IP address
  • The iOS speed test uploaded the throughput issue in PPPoE mode
  • Issues with the Japanese language string
  • The user wasn’t able to log in to the GUI after finishing the GUI installation
  • The Orbi Mini and Micro model name displayed incorrectly in UPnP
  • The router GUI could not be accessed using oribilogin.com or orbilogin.net

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security issues.
 While I don't know what your addressing scheme looks like or if this device even supports VLAN's - it could be that the moment another mesh satellite picks up, you lose layer 3 connectivity. Oculus UI shows Layer 2 so it would just say you are connected. Same goes if you lost DNS, because your ISP was lame or perhaps you cannot use another in your router (I do not use any consumer routers for this reason). What I would do is, turn off all those satellites - reboot the modem/router/etc but leave those mesh devices off. Update the firmware on the Orbi thing and perform the site survey. Walk your home and record SNR or dB around your home. With those results, see if the Quest works in the lowest dB that's near your Orbi device....

Doc_Ox
Honored Guest
I saw some activity on this thread, so I wanted to thank you for following up, and also to mention that since posting this comment I haven't had Wi-Fi connection issues.  (Knocks on wood.)  If I recall, the timing of this post coincided with an update (v 13?).  I made no changes to my network whatsoever, so it was either completely coincidental with the update, or it was addressed by the update.  Also, concurrent with making this post, I also separately sent a message to Oculus Customer Support, but then it was resolved, as mentioned above.

Sorry to hear that you guys are continuing to have connection issues.  Hoping it gets resolved for you quickly.