cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth changing to a Rift S from a Quest 2?

repoluhun
Explorer

Hey, so I've looked at the minimum specs for both Quest 2 AirLink and Rift S and I've found out that the Rift S has lower requirements, does this mean that if I'd get a Rift S I'd get better performance in VR games, would it be worth it to switch to a Rift S?

13 REPLIES 13

Krisx1337
Honored Guest

I started using Virtual Desktop, because my GPU wasn't enough for AirLink. Virtual Desktop works fine and I've had no problems with it. People have been reporting problems of desync, but they get it fixed after a restart.

PITTCANNA
Visionary

It really depends on your usage, you would really need a substantial upgrade to get the most out of quest 2 and the airlink function.

Considering gpu and cpu shortage your not going to have a lot of options if you want to do yourself.

If you go pre-built your looking at 2000 to 2500 for a sufficent upgrade to get the most out of quest 2.

30 series gpus are in the 1500 to 2000 range

i9 cpus like 400

wifi 6 router like 150 usd.

and finally quest 2 399 for 256 gig and a new 128 gig is going to be released for 299.

if you had a good financial year go for it, if not wait. 

I'm not only changing it for that reason but because I don't like charging it plus I'm pretty sure a wired connection would be much better for latency

I have a good enough PC and I'm already using it but I'm asking if it would maybe run even better if I used a Rift S?

you could also run quest 2 with a cable

ohgrant
Superstar

I would say more than likely you will get smother results with the Rift-S. The default resolution is a bit less. Your GPU will work a little bit less since it doesn't have to do the encoding. Not sure how much better or even if it would be a difference you would notice.  If you are having USB issues with your Quest, chances are you'll also experience USB issues with the Rift-S.  

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Yeah but as I've said I don't like charging it and the performance would hypothetically be worse than with a Rift S

so it all depends what you mean run better?

With some tweaking the quest 2 can run fine, on the same pc via air link.  Keep in mind its because the cap is so high on the quest 2 your computer over loads if you don't set a lower cap.  Setting something to run at 120hz is bad practice if your pc can not handle it, if you set it to 72/80 hz it will run as a rift s.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Rift S has lower requirements in part because it has lower resolution and frame rate. You have the freedom to adjust those settings for the Quest 2 (in the PC app Devices section, click on the Quest 2 to go to its graphics settings). If you set the resolution to something like 3370x1776 (I believe that's close to the Rift S render target), and the refresh rate to 80 Hz, you should get a similar level of performance as a Rift S.

There is a little extra GPU overhead with the Link due to encoding, but if you have a recent generation video card, it has a dedicated chip for that, so it shouldn't impact performance in a significant way.

Some people will tell you that Quest 2 suffers from compression artifacts compared to a native PCVR headset, but with the right encoding settings I rarely notice any. The higher resolution and better clarity of the Quest 2 screen makes a much more significant difference to overall image quality compared to my Rift CV1.

You can run the Quest wired (Link instead of AirLink) with a decent USB3-C cable, and it will help keep the headset charged while you're playing (don't use the charging cable that comes with the Q2, that's USB2). Link may also have slightly less latency than AirLink, but I don't personally notice any significant latency with Link or AirLink compared to my Rift.

Be aware that the Rift S has no IPD adjustment. The lenses have a fixed spacing corresponding to the Quest 2's middle setting (2). If you currently use that lens position then you'll be fine with the Rift S, but if you use 1 or 3, then you might find that the Rift S causes a bit of eye strain. Also, be aware that the Rift S is a discontinued product, and is no longer sold by Oculus. You might still find one at a retailer, but replacement parts (controllers, cables, etc.) will become harder to find as time goes on.

I personally wouldn't recommend a Rift S if you already have a Quest 2. I think you'll find the lower resolution disappointing, and the cable is annoying compared to AirLink when playing a game that demands a lot of movement.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo