cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Quest 2 actually sharp? Original Rift owner considering to upgrade.

ZubiFett
Protege

Good afternoon,

I bought my Rift 3 years ago I believe and really liked it, so much so I bought a 3rd sensor. My main problem with it always was the resolution. A friend bought the Oculust Rif S when it was out and allowed me to try it, and after I did, I decided it wasn't worth the upgrade.

Was it sharper? Yes, but it was still blurry.

And I don't mind the long cable on my OG  Rift nor having the three sensors in my gaming room, so I decided to stick with my faithful companion. The Quest 2's resolution is better than the Rift S', however, is it actually sharp? 

I'm really not bothered about the rest of the improvements, I'm willing to upgrade when the image in front of me has more sharpness to it than a blur. 

Are the Quest 2 noticeably sharper than the Rift S?

Many thanks for your time.

Regards,

An old VR user.

11 REPLIES 11

ZeniFoox
Protege

quest 2 has really good resolution and no need for base stations either just be aware that due to the hardware you have the refresh rate and resolution may be locked at a specific number but if you use steam vr you can adjust that video resolution easily!

@Thmoas Do you actually have enough PC power to use 2xSS with your Rift cv1 and/or 1.6xSS with your Rift S?

Always a personal preference thing I guess but for me the only thing a Q2 is an upgrade for is a Q1 with standalone mobile VR and as a media viewer.  For the best pcvr you cannot beat a dedicated pcvr headset (any brand), esp. with flight sims.

As long as you are enjoying your Q2, that's the most important thing.  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers