cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the cable included with Quest the official LINK CABLE for PC

KingBlackpixel
Expert Protege
 Is it still recommended to purchase the Oculus Link cable or will the cable that's included suffice and was that the original plan? 

I ordered the Quest, it will arrive shortly, and I can't find an official Oculus Link cable available. 

I'm not really interested in aftermarket cables that may or may not work based on updates.

Just looking for a stable link to the PC. 

Thanks 
1 CPU: Alienware M17 R4: NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 3080 16GB GDDR6, 10th Generation Intel Core(TM) i9-10980HK (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.3GHz Max Turbo Frequency)
2nd CPU: Alienware Aurora R12: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X, 11th Gen Intel Core i9 11900KF (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.5GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)
11 REPLIES 11

KingBlackpixel
Expert Protege

IguanaC64 said:

"Better visuals, and Better performance"

Really? 
Streaming content wirelessly is getting you better performance than the actual fiber optic official cable??? 

I've never heard anyone say that.
That's actually shocking. 
I'm sure you can sell that cable for what you paid for it with it being in limited quantity and all...
1 CPU: Alienware M17 R4: NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 3080 16GB GDDR6, 10th Generation Intel Core(TM) i9-10980HK (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.3GHz Max Turbo Frequency)
2nd CPU: Alienware Aurora R12: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X, 11th Gen Intel Core i9 11900KF (8-Core, 16MB Cache, 3.5GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost)

Anonymous
Not applicable

IguanaC64 said:

"Better visuals, and Better performance"

Really? 
Streaming content wirelessly is getting you better performance than the actual fiber optic official cable??? 

I've never heard anyone say that.
That's actually shocking. 
I'm sure you can sell that cable for what you paid for it with it being in limited quantity and all...

VD is a really nice option and if set up properly works well. I had been using it for PCVR exclusively since my aftermarket 10' cable was iffy with Link which would only work/connect maybe 50% of the time and was a real hassle at only 10'... finally was able to order the official Link cable and it's night and day from the cheap aftermarket solution. 

I was very curious as to the visual differences and used Alyx to test. There *is* a difference and it doesn't weigh in VD's favor. VD has more latency - you especially notice this with actions like throwing. I can't count how many time throwing a grenade with VD ended with either a short distance sloppy toss right in front of me, 20 feet past the target, or dropped directly on my foot. I had assumed that throwing in Alyx was just awkward with the touch controllers as it was made for the Index. Well, with Link I was throwing like a MLB pro and everything went where I wanted it to. No "oh shit" moments where I was scrambling to run away from a dropped grenade or picking one up that was girly tossed a foot away. 

With VD there are occasional "hiccups" and screen tearing - especially with fast head movements or smooth locomotion. Link is smooth as butter with zero "hiccups" or dropped frames. There is also notably more input lag with VD than with Link. Another big difference I saw was that with VD particle effects were either missing or very subdued - and I didn't even know this until I used Link and all of a sudden fire looked like real fire, fog and smoke were subtle and realistic and not gradiated and there were particles floating around everywhere. The last thing I noticed is the lack of artifacts with Link. For example, during the loading screen in Alyx if you look at a dark area you can see subtle traces of amber lights streaming up and down, like in the Matrix. With Link it's just inky blackness and no strange pieces floating around. Anyhow, maybe it's just my setup - but to me Link is the clear winner. The only thing VD offers, and it IS significant, is tetherless operation... and that is pretty damned cool.

Some less demanding titles like Space Pirate Trainer I have a very hard time telling them apart. I've been playing Lone Echo on Link lately and now that I have OTT configured properly the clarity and depth of the graphics are wonderful. I should maybe test it on VD and see how it does. LE is a game that would definitely benefit from the lack of a tether.