cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with getting started with Quest 2 for oldies

Majura13
Honored Guest

My husband and I  are in our 80’s and no longer able to travel far so have purchased a Quest 2 headset in the hope of continuing to enjoy our world through VR.

We are incredibly disappointed at this stage. I purchased and downloaded National Geographic Explorer VR. It was successfully installed but that was the end of our experience. On starting the program all we can get is an ongoing scroll of yellow arrows. I have uninstalled and reinstalled now 3 times trying to overcome any glitch. I have also tried shutting down and restarting the headset but nothing I am doing is resolving the problem.

I am way out of my comfort zone but am not willing to give up yet so any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

kojack
MVP
MVP

I haven't tried Explore VR, so I don't know much about how it should work. Hopefully someone knows what is going on.

But in the meantime National Geographic has a youtube channel with 360 degree VR videos you can watch for free on the Quest 2.

The channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/c/NatGeo

Use the Quest 2 browser to go there and scroll down to the 360 video playlist. There's 54 videos. Some (like the elephant encounter) are stereo 3d too, but most are just panoramas (still cool).

(You need to click the full screen button for youtube to give you the VR options.

Brink Traveler sounds good too, but I haven't used that either. Good reviews though. It's got 17 locations to explore. It's a similar price to National Geographic Explore VR.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3635172946605196

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Thank you for your advice Kojack. I still haven’t solved my issue with Explorer but I have followed your instructions on how to access the YouTube videos and they how provided us with some excellent experiences. 
I will also look at Brink traveller too once I have sorted the Explorer issue.

I appreciate the time you spent to provide me with some advice.

Hello @Majura13! I see that National Discovery didn't work out for you. I'm sorry to hear that your first experience with Meta had to be in such a negative light. I understand how important this is for you and your husband, and your overall Meta VR experience is what matters. If you ever have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with Meta Store Support. They'll be happy to help! I'll be here as well! All the best.

Kudos, kudos and more kudos!

Gutz2901
Protege

Hi, I really feel that I understand your problem. I'm sixty-three and I am also finding this tech difficult to grasp. There perhaps needs to be a site where people of our ilk can meet and explore these issues. For my self I feel that I really need to start from square one and I was wondering where to find those answers. 

jo.ann.strohn
Honored Guest

I'm not far behind you in age. After spending a couple days trying to learn it, I really think there needs to be an area where Seniors can go and learn together. Not to segregate from the young ones (I was there once myself!) Rather to be able to share tips and help each other. I did buy the National Geographic program -- haven't used it yet. Welcome to the confused and curious!

drifting.cloud.2023
Honored Guest

Yes same **bleep** here its dissaponiting and i paid for the **bleep** like wander total crap and paid for that to what a **bleep** box

got nothing to with age there robbing peoples le with crap apps that dont work i think ill sell mine or just throw it in the bin