cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a Couple of Q2 Performance Tips with Link and Air Link - TomC

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Thought I'd mention a couple of performance tips I've found have helped me with my Q2/rtx3090 with both Link and Air Link (these will not work with Virtual Desktop btw).  These should also be applicable to all supported gpu's.

First one is, once you've found the optimal Oculus Desktop pc app device/graphics setting (refresh and res slider) try knocking back the res slider 1-2 notches.  In my case with my 3090 my optimum has been 80Hz refresh and the res slider full right (5408x2736).  I knocked this down to to 1.2x (4864x2448) and this improved the performance on all my games/sims.  More importantly, I could not see any significant difference in graphics quality (= still very good).

Second thing, go to the Oculus Debug Tool and change the FOV-Tangent Multiplier values to 0.85,0.85 (then restart oculus services).  I've found that slight reduction in horiz/vert FOV was not noticeable to my eyes but it did further improve my performance and with Air Link it eliminated all stutters (which I only occasionally got).  Depending on your eyes you may be able to lower this even more but I found that if I went much lower (say, 0.75,0.75) I could start to see some distortion on my right lens.

Anyway, just a couple of tips I thought were worth noting.  Maybe give them a go and see what you think.  Best Easter Cheers mates.

Edit;  I should have added that the new Air Frames Insurance with the latest Oculus Desktop pc app public beta v39 includes another option in ODT =  Mobile ASW.  You can enable it so that Framerate Airframe Insurance may help smooth out network fluctuations.  Again, this is not available with Virtual Desktop.  I'm still on Quest v38 (and not enrolled in its beta test channel),  Also note that it is not useable with 120Hz refresh rate yet so you need to be 90Hz or less if you want to try it out. 

I think that since I've enabled this with ODT (again, you need to restart Oculus services) it seems to help make Air Link a little smoother.  I'm not really 100% sure, it could be a placebo effect, lol!  Another thing maybe worth trying for Air Link users using 90Hz or less imho.  Also, only Q2 btw.

You can read about this a little more here;

https://uploadvr.com/quest-2-air-link-framerate-insurance/

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I realise that trying to add tips to this forum is not as popular as the usual whiny, one-post-wonder complaints but I thought I'd add a little update anyway, lol!

I've now found that this 0.85;0.85 fov adjustment has not only improved my Q2/rtx3090 performance it also allowed me to increase my Super Sampling up to 1.10 x which further improves the already great clarity and does not seem to adversely affect my performance on any Oculus, Steam, or VivePort games.  I use OTT to do this but you can also do it with ODT of course, just remember to restart Oculus services afterwards.

I've also now found it best to Disable the ODT mobile ASW AFI option for now.  Since I already have a very good router/wifi setup (as recommended from Oculus support) it did not seem to add anything except I did notice the odd bit of tv-like static spots once in a while.  After disabling this I do not get any of these.  Still on Q2 v38 and Oculus Desktop app ptc v39 btw.  Cheers..

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I realise that trying to add tips to this forum is not as popular as the usual whiny, one-post-wonder complaints but I thought I'd add a little update anyway, lol!

I've now found that this 0.85;0.85 fov adjustment has not only improved my Q2/rtx3090 performance it also allowed me to increase my Super Sampling up to 1.10 x which further improves the already great clarity and does not seem to adversely affect my performance on any Oculus, Steam, or VivePort games.  I use OTT to do this but you can also do it with ODT of course, just remember to restart Oculus services afterwards.

I've also now found it best to Disable the ODT mobile ASW AFI option for now.  Since I already have a very good router/wifi setup (as recommended from Oculus support) it did not seem to add anything except I did notice the odd bit of tv-like static spots once in a while.  After disabling this I do not get any of these.  Still on Q2 v38 and Oculus Desktop app ptc v39 btw.  Cheers..