cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my Quest. Thoughts on it.

Digikid1
Consultant
Bought a 64GB Quest from Best Buy Canada a few days ago.  Ordered 4/22/2020....Received it in 4/24/2020.  Good shipping BB!!!!

Set it up and let it update to V16.  After a reboot everything worked fine including Passthrough and Hand Tracking.

My thoughts on it?

Face piece hurts after 10 minutes or so.  Feels like a someone is putting the corner edge of a 2x4 on my cheeks and leaning on it.  Multiple readjustments don't seem to make any difference.  May have to order a VRCover for it.

The Passthrough camera is....strange.  It's appears to be a stitched together feed and you can tell it quite clearly.  Very grainy and distorted.

After playing with the Rift CV1 controllers for years now I always have to remind myself to NOT hold the controllers with the ring down ( still insist they should have left the design alone but I understand the reason for it )

The built in "speakers" are decent.  Not good and not great but merely decent.  Will have to invest in something more CV1 like.  Doing research on that now.

As expected the game graphics are good.  Yes they are a huge step down from the CV1 but they are good enough to still enjoy the game you are playing.

I do love the freedom of no cables.  This alone makes it worth the $670CDN I spent on it.  I loved the Sports Scramble Demo and will be getting that in the future.  ( They gave me a FISH to play baseball with?  LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! )  I went with the 64GB version because it was $120CDN cheaper and the way I see it 64GB is MORE than enough.  I have lots of cross buy games on it and free full games and experiences and it still has 40GB free....so I am quite satisfied that I made the right choice.

18 REPLIES 18

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
When you compare with CV1, is that pure Quest games or using Oculus Link to compare the exact same games?

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Digikid1
Consultant
Sry.  Quest games.  Still waiting on a Anker USB C cable that was recommended.

tgcken
Honored Guest
I ended up selling my CV1 once my link cable came, I think you'll be pleased once it arrives.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I got a vr cover for mine. It helps, but the Quest is still the most uncomfortable VR headset I've ever used.

As a mobile headset, it's great (other than hurting my face). But for PC VR I much prefer the CV1 and Rift-S than Quest with Link.
(Rift-S has less screen door despite the slightly lower resolution and CV1 has better sound, better Touch, better comfort, higher refresh rate)

Digikid1 said:

The Passthrough camera is....strange.  It's appears to be a stitched together feed and you can tell it quite clearly.  Very grainy and distorted.

It's not just stitched together, it's reprojected. The Quest cameras are in the wrong position to feed to your eyes. At release the pass through made the world feel tiny (since your IPD was effectively as wide as the headset). Passthrough+ reprojected the images to look closer to what you would expect.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I would like to add that although the Rift S has a lower resolution on paper, the actual image quality and comfort far exceeds the Quest.  Quest is more versatile, and a good all rounder but otherwise beaten in every other regard. IMO YMMV - Yes I have both.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like many have problems with Quest comfort - this dude added "weighted straps" to make it better - does look kinda hot (=warm) though...

t4oy1dxat4m9.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/g866dt/just_got_my_weighted_straps_for_the_quest_makes/

I read in another post, I think it was from Palmer Luckey, the close to insane amount of testing they did with CV1 and Touch - to get everything right. All these Rift-S connection problems and Quest comfort do make me think that none of these hmds got similar QA as the CV1... Compared to Index, CV1 also has much better comfort - probably due to Index being heavier, but also due to the weight distribution across your head. I really don't notice the weight etc. of the CV1 when I'm using it - that must be close to perfection. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

tgcken said:

I ended up selling my CV1 once my link cable came, I think you'll be pleased once it arrives.

I've been playing hard with my new Quest and Link cable (official one) for the past week and while the Quest w/Link comes close to my Rift cv1 it is still not as good (picture quality, comfort, and performance wise).  Currently I would never think about retiring my Rift cv1 in favor of the Quest w/Link. 

However, if my Rift were to die I probably would manage with the Quest w/Link until something better from Oculus came around. Also, I remember John Carmack mentioning late last year that he was looking at bumping up the Quest's current usb 3.0 5mbps limit to 10mbps with usb 3.1 so that may level things out if that ever happens.  Who knows?

In the meantime I will use my Rift for all my Oculus store games and my Quest for cross-buy's mobile.  For now, I see very little reason to use my expensive (aud$129) Link cable.  Maybe I can use it with my 3rd Rift cv1 sensor that I'm currently not using, lol!

I have been experimenting with Quest wireless PCVR using sideloaded Virtual Desktop.  Still a few latency and game compatibility issues but it does look promising.  Once I've had a chance to use it for a couple more weeks I'll try to provide a review.  Like everything, 1st impressions are not always all that accurate imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
Something that helps with Quest comfort is to make a roll of coins weighing about 300g and attach it to the back of the strap, this balances the front heavy weight of the headset and means its not leaning on your cheek bones. Weirdly it makes it feel as though it weighs a lot less.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Tadin said:

Something that helps with Quest comfort is to make a roll of coins weighing about 300g and attach it to the back of the strap, this balances the front heavy weight of the headset and means its not leaning on your cheek bones. Weirdly it makes it feel as though it weighs a lot less.

Ya, I'm currently strapping a 10,000Mah battery pack (~240g) sidewise to the rear of the headband with 2x 3/4" Velcro straps (soft side out) and this seems to help balance it better and feels more comfortable.  Plus it provides a few more hours playtime!  This is the inexpensive battery cable I'm using (1.5ft and works perfect);

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07PFHB3R4/ref=pe_2361882_282382012_TE_item

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers