cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my Quest. Thoughts on it.

Digikid1
Consultant
Bought a 64GB Quest from Best Buy Canada a few days ago.  Ordered 4/22/2020....Received it in 4/24/2020.  Good shipping BB!!!!

Set it up and let it update to V16.  After a reboot everything worked fine including Passthrough and Hand Tracking.

My thoughts on it?

Face piece hurts after 10 minutes or so.  Feels like a someone is putting the corner edge of a 2x4 on my cheeks and leaning on it.  Multiple readjustments don't seem to make any difference.  May have to order a VRCover for it.

The Passthrough camera is....strange.  It's appears to be a stitched together feed and you can tell it quite clearly.  Very grainy and distorted.

After playing with the Rift CV1 controllers for years now I always have to remind myself to NOT hold the controllers with the ring down ( still insist they should have left the design alone but I understand the reason for it )

The built in "speakers" are decent.  Not good and not great but merely decent.  Will have to invest in something more CV1 like.  Doing research on that now.

As expected the game graphics are good.  Yes they are a huge step down from the CV1 but they are good enough to still enjoy the game you are playing.

I do love the freedom of no cables.  This alone makes it worth the $670CDN I spent on it.  I loved the Sports Scramble Demo and will be getting that in the future.  ( They gave me a FISH to play baseball with?  LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! )  I went with the 64GB version because it was $120CDN cheaper and the way I see it 64GB is MORE than enough.  I have lots of cross buy games on it and free full games and experiences and it still has 40GB free....so I am quite satisfied that I made the right choice.

18 REPLIES 18

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

tgcken said:

I ended up selling my CV1 once my link cable came, I think you'll be pleased once it arrives.

I've been playing hard with my new Quest and Link cable (official one) for the past week and while the Quest w/Link comes close to my Rift cv1 it is still not as good (picture quality, comfort, and performance wise).  Currently I would never think about retiring my Rift cv1 in favor of the Quest w/Link. 

However, if my Rift were to die I probably would manage with the Quest w/Link until something better from Oculus came around. Also, I remember John Carmack mentioning late last year that he was looking at bumping up the Quest's current usb 3.0 5mbps limit to 10mbps with usb 3.1 so that may level things out if that ever happens.  Who knows?

In the meantime I will use my Rift for all my Oculus store games and my Quest for cross-buy's mobile.  For now, I see very little reason to use my expensive (aud$129) Link cable.  Maybe I can use it with my 3rd Rift cv1 sensor that I'm currently not using, lol!

I have been experimenting with Quest wireless PCVR using sideloaded Virtual Desktop.  Still a few latency and game compatibility issues but it does look promising.  Once I've had a chance to use it for a couple more weeks I'll try to provide a review.  Like everything, 1st impressions are not always all that accurate imho.

Thanks for the review - I greatly appreciate it - that was (probably) the final nail in the Quest coffin for me. No way I'm gonna replace my CV1s with a solution which is worse - unless it's my only choice. Because you also use very high levels of ss, your opinion means more to me than a 1000 posts on Reddit. I believe that close to no one know the true potential of their CV1s - as nearly no one have tried ss 2.0+ for long enough time to truly appreciate and notice the change in image quality. Persons who can't see any difference between let's say ss 1.3 and 2.0 do not experience image quality like I do, and reviews from such persons can't be trusted - in my opinion. Most persons on Reddit just compare CV1 to Quest without even mentioning ss levels - extremely unscientific and not trustworthy in my opinion. That's why I greatly appreciate your opinion. 

Also Alyx is growing on me - and the Index - to the point where I haven't turned on the 85" tv for weeks, lol. If/when I get a better video card, I could see myself (slowly) using the Index nearly always. 
Then again, I'll need those Vimeo videos, lol - that's the one app not working with Revive (yet). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Rune, thanks mate.  I would say that the Quest is a fantastic Mobile VR headset so it's still worth a look.  But even with Link it is not quite an equivalent replacement for the Rift cv1 imho. 

I think that the Quest's hidden gem might be with the Virtual Desktop wireless potential.  Way too early to say if it is ever going to be as good as my Vive Pro wireless.  But who knows?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Of course Quest may also be great for watching Netflix and movies - if the full physical res is supported. I'm still looking for an app when watching Netflix using Index or CV1, I constantly get a black screen due to the build-in copy protection (in BigScreen and using Oculus or Steam desktop in VR). Really annoying that there's no official Netflix app for PCVR. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, but for media, not much better than the Go, for 1/2 the cost imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Of course Quest may also be great for watching Netflix and movies

I'd choose the Go over the Quest for that.
The superior comfort of the Go makes it better for longer use, and the cloth headstrap doesn't interfere with leaning back in a chair with a head rest. The Quest isn't bad for that, but it's rubber strap is more stiff. The Rift-S is the absolute worst for sitting in a cinema recliner (what I've got) due to the thick rigid headband and the knob out the back. The CV1 is better than the Rift-S, but you have to be careful due to the tracking lights in the back (the band is a bit more delicate, especially the audio wiring in it).

The Quest is still cool, I don't regret getting one. But as a jack of all trades it doesn't excel at anything already covered by the previous headsets (PC VR or passive entertainment watching). It's key advantage is wireless 6DOF. For people that can only afford one headset it's probably the best choice.

I just wish it wasn't so locked down. The Oculus mobile approach is copying Apple's mobile behavior rather than Google's.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Digikid1
Consultant
Hmm....the Go has dropped in price....I may grab one just for entertainment viewing.

$199CDN for 32GB
$249CDN for 64GB

Not bad.

Quest has become a great VR headset for me when I'm away from home, I'm not using it for PCVR though.

It's been designed to accommodate glasses so for me that's a big plus as I never bothered to get prescription lenses. It presses on the face more than CV1 did and is really a long way from Rift-S comfort (also design for glasses).

I find screen quality very similar to the S with variations mostly resulting from the OLED vs LCD characteristics. I prefer the S's LCD for games that aren't dark as the colours seem a little bit more natural to me. The OLED wins for dark scenes, the Quest refresh rate also starts to show flicker in bright scenes but it's minor.

The Quest is superb for VR away from home and as you say, for untethered VR, just so much fun, especially when demonstrating to friends. Watching a big-screen movie in bed is great, you can loosen up the straps when you lie back and comfort then is just fine.

Netflix and the movies on my NAS have served me well and I think it's about a quarter full with games so far.

I plumped for the 128GB as I thought it would be good to load it up with movies when I go on long trips away but something's gotten in the way of those plans just lately 😐

kojack
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:

Hmm....the Go has dropped in price....I may grab one just for entertainment viewing.

$199CDN for 32GB
$249CDN for 64GB

Not bad.

Although I should point out I don't watch media stuff in VR anyway (I prefer my OLED tv) so my opinion on the Go may be wrong. 🙂
But in my few attempts it seems the Go is best for that to me.
A dark movie (like Aliens or something) would probably be better on a Quest due to black levels.

Where the Go really shines is travel media viewing. The Go takes up less space and you don't even need the case since there's no semi-rigid headband to protect like on the Quest (and the controller is far smaller than two Touch).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

Digikid1 said:

$199CDN for 32GB
$249CDN for 64GB

Not bad.

Although I should point out I don't watch media stuff in VR anyway (I prefer my OLED tv) so my opinion on the Go may be wrong. 🙂
But in my few attempts it seems the Go is best for that to me.
A dark movie (like Aliens or something) would probably be better on a Quest due to black levels.

Where the Go really shines is travel media viewing. The Go takes up less space and you don't even need the case since there's no semi-rigid headband to protect like on the Quest (and the controller is far smaller than two Touch).

Once hand tracking becomes more stable - I dont think they will even need touch controllers for just viewing movies on the Quest again. Same for Quest-2-GO. I think their move going forward is just make it as simple as possible with less need for input controllers as needed for some of that.