cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lambda 1VR Mod for playing Half Life One with the Ouest

Maxxgold
Rising Star
https://www.lambda1vr.com/

Motion Controls: Before you ask... YES!, the crowbar has to be swung in real life to smash stuff! 

Two Handed Weapons: You can control two-handed weapons using both hands (similar to Onward / Pavlov / etc). Put you non-dominant hand forward to where the front hold of the gun is and hold the grip button on that controller.

Reddit: Full instructions and more
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lambda1VR/comments/cjivzl/how_to_get_started_install_lambda1vr_the_halflife...

Reddit: HD overhaul for lambda1vr (based on HL: Gold by "Crowbar"
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lambda1VR/comments/cox7st/hd_texture_pack_download/

I would highly recommend using the Gold HD pack to play. The original graphics and the Valve HD pack do very little to make the game look better. The Gold pack is as good as its going to get. Follow the directions and make sure you go into Video configuration and enable VBO: for faster rendering, and enable Use Materials to use the GOLD HD pack. You have full hand control over your weapons and flashlight. You reach over your shoulder behind your back to grab the crowbar.You can smash glass and break things with your crowbar. It feels good.
8 REPLIES 8

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
It's very good - I just tried it a couple of times. Got through the first two levels before I had to stop due to sickness. Thankfully it subsided pretty much as soon as i stopped playing.

It's the low-res graphics that make me sick, always have - since CV1 - probably always will. Movement etc is no issue at all.
So I was looking for possible HD updates - I'll try the one you recommend.
This problem has stopped me playing Quake 2 and I bet it will be the same with Quake Quest, which I just side-loaded but haven't tried yet.

Just to add - I highly recommend these fun old shooters - they are fantastic in VR as long as you can stomach the old graphics. Level loading in Half-Life takes about 2 seconds.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Maxxgold
Rising Star

JD-UK said:

It's very good - I just tried it a couple of times. Got through the first two levels before I had to stop due to sickness. Thankfully it subsided pretty much as soon as i stopped playing.

It's the low-res graphics that make me sick, always have - since CV1 - probably always will. Movement etc is no issue at all.
So I was looking for possible HD updates - I'll try the one you recommend.
This problem has stopped me playing Quake 2 and I bet it will be the same with Quake Quest, which I just side-loaded but haven't tried yet.

Just to add - I highly recommend these fun old shooters - they are fantastic in VR as long as you can stomach the old graphics. Level loading in Half-Life takes about 2 seconds.

Yeah, download the Gold HD graphics. I would not play it without that graphic pack. Make sure to enable the VBO fast video renderer in the Video Configuration as well. You also have to add the command line text file that enables the HD Gold graphics folder. Just follow the directions and you will be fine. 

I also have issues with VR sickness after a while, so I take these. 6 dollars for 2 bottles and they work great. I can play any VR game for hours after taking 2 tablets. They are chewable and taste good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QL0GQT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quake 2’s movement is to much for me. I can’t play that one. Maybe with the tablets, but Half Life One is perfect. 

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I would also use this in the commandline.txt file in your "xash" directory. This is only if you are using the Gold HD textures pack, which I wouldn't play without using. This will keep your frames steady when the gameplay gets demanding.
xash3d -log --supersampling 1.25 --msaa 2 --cpu 4 --gpu 4 -game HL_Gold_HD

Maxxgold
Rising Star
     I’ve been playing Half Life One with the Quest since I found this on Sidequest, and it is amazing. It is easily the best non-tethered game on the Quest. At least in my opinion. 

You can play freaking Half Life One on the Quest in VR with fully functioning movement with weapons and items. The weapon models are spot on too. If you do install this, make sure to use the Gold HD pack, because the game looks bad without it. 

What are you waiting for ::smiley:

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I have a jar of crystallised stem ginger on my desk at all times  - and I eat toast with ginger marmalade every day 😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Maxxgold
Rising Star

JD-UK said:

I have a jar of crystallised stem ginger on my desk at all times  - and I eat toast with ginger marmalade every day 😉

Nice 🙂 I might give that a try. The pills are working for now, but it never hurts to have a backup!

Maxxgold
Rising Star
Latest version 1.27 increases the range of the Crowbar so you can hit stuff easier.

https://github.com/DrBeef/Lambda1VR/releases

Maxxgold
Rising Star
Latest version highlights useable items. This makes interacting with switches and useable objects so much better. If you haven’t played this on your Quest yet, you are really missing out. This is easily the best full length game on the Quest. 20 to 30 hours of un tethered gameplay with the iconic Half Life One!