cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop spec check / opinion

Vol4Ever
Honored Guest
We are due for a desktop PC upgrade, and I'm toying with changing to laptop just for portability purposes, and these days laptops aren't THAT much more than desktops.  Have my eye on a Dell at BB with these core specs:

- 9th Gen Intel i7-9750H
- 16 GB DDR4
- 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 6GB DDR6
- Thunderbolt port

Would this decently power an Oculus Quest with the new Link functionality?  Wonder how long before it would be totally obsoleted?  Most of my VR gaming easily passes on bare bones minimum specs by far, but there is one game I am absoultely dying to play in VR mode - - - - Digital Combat Simulator which is the most realistic fighter jet combat model I've ever seen.  Extremely graphics and processor heavy, but the above meets its published specs.  Just not sure on the VR side.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

~Vol
1 REPLY 1

enigma01
Trustee
I have a Acer Triton 500, with the same CPU but with an RTX 2080 Max Q. So far on using Link I’ve been able to run pretty much everything I’ve tried with max graphics settings, I’ve been playing Stormland recently with everything on max. 

You can see GPU comparisons here https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-RTX-2080-Max-Q-vs-GeForce-RTX-2060-Laptop_9621_9581.247598.0.h...

I replaced an ageing gaming desktop for the exact same reason as you. I have much more room downstairs than in my upstairs office room and can easily just bring the laptop downstairs when I want to use Link in a larger space.