cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Cable

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
The link cable from Oculus is £89 this seems expensive.  There are similar cables on Amazon for much less.  So is the link cable all that is required, or does it come with some kind of software or code to enable it.  Or is the Oculus cable special in some way or other ?
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer
I personally am not prepared to spend £89 for one & from what I’ve read here, others who have done, are regretting it.  By all accounts it’s not even that good quality.

I bought these two in November & they work fine for me ?

regards
Steve

eavxdx7r6xgy.jpeg32mgsm7423wl.jpeg

View solution in original post

enigma01
Trustee
The Oculus cable is expensive because it doesn’t work like a conventional copper USB C cable. It’s an optical cable with some form of optoelectronics built into each end of the cable. 

Like Steve I’ve been using alternative cables but also purchased the official Oculus cable. At present I can’t say it’s worth the money for a number of reasons:

1. I can only get the cable to work connected backwards on my Thunderbolt 3 port. (So the angled section that’s meant to go into the headset into my pc instead) Several owners are reporting issues who have Thunderbolt 3. I have no idea why my cable works connected backwards, but obviously isn’t functioning as intended. 

2.The cable is slightly thicker but also slightly more flexible than my alternative cheaper cable. This extra flex actually makes the official cable prone to tangle up much easier than my other slightly more rigid cable. 

3. The USB C connectors on the official cable use to dovetail stamped technique, so there is a seam in the connector. High quality cables usually use a technique where there is no seam. So I’m very surprised the official cables connectors have seams giving its price. 

4. I am using a similar Ugreen extension to Steve and a Ugreen 2m cable. I can’t say that I notice any difference between the performance of this and the official cable. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer
I personally am not prepared to spend £89 for one & from what I’ve read here, others who have done, are regretting it.  By all accounts it’s not even that good quality.

I bought these two in November & they work fine for me ?

regards
Steve

eavxdx7r6xgy.jpeg32mgsm7423wl.jpeg

enigma01
Trustee
The Oculus cable is expensive because it doesn’t work like a conventional copper USB C cable. It’s an optical cable with some form of optoelectronics built into each end of the cable. 

Like Steve I’ve been using alternative cables but also purchased the official Oculus cable. At present I can’t say it’s worth the money for a number of reasons:

1. I can only get the cable to work connected backwards on my Thunderbolt 3 port. (So the angled section that’s meant to go into the headset into my pc instead) Several owners are reporting issues who have Thunderbolt 3. I have no idea why my cable works connected backwards, but obviously isn’t functioning as intended. 

2.The cable is slightly thicker but also slightly more flexible than my alternative cheaper cable. This extra flex actually makes the official cable prone to tangle up much easier than my other slightly more rigid cable. 

3. The USB C connectors on the official cable use to dovetail stamped technique, so there is a seam in the connector. High quality cables usually use a technique where there is no seam. So I’m very surprised the official cables connectors have seams giving its price. 

4. I am using a similar Ugreen extension to Steve and a Ugreen 2m cable. I can’t say that I notice any difference between the performance of this and the official cable. 

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Its good to know you can use other alternatives.  I don't have the quest yet, but I think its a pretty safe bet that I will, so trying to get a handle on it before I do.  I was shocked at the price, and convinced myself there must have been a real reason other than greed - lol.
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17

enigma01
Trustee

Umpa_PC said:

I was shocked at the price, and convinced myself there must have been a real reason other than greed - lol.

Yes... for example Logitech make a cable for their video conferencing equipment which I think must use similar technology, 10 m version costs £275!

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Wow thats a lot, I understand that when a company produces affordable hi-tech they make their money by nickel and diming, after all the printer industry has been doing it with ink for years - lol, Oculus are not as bad as Logitech tho by the sounds of it.

So just to clarify, if you get a good cable it does not need to be the optical variety ?

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer

So just to clarify, if you get a good cable it does not need to be the optical variety ?

Correct. Mine work ok & enigma01 has even tried a longer extension. 
First thing you need to do though is buy a Quest ? (you won’t regret it)

regards
Steve