cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Nonsense?

crxefx
Expert Protege
All I have read recently is problems with oculus link not working for people. Makes me wonder... If you have a quality pc (minimum to recommended specs) have you tried virtual desktop or alvr? How has this compared? I've been using vd to run steam vr without a hitch. Games are at least the same or better than on the quest all in all. The library is enormous in comparison, I've had no problems until now..

Tonight I decided that I'd try using my usb to usb-c cable to setup oculus link. For no good reason. I ended up with a big red X that my cable is no good. fair enough. except, my audio completely disappeared  outside of quest. After uninstalling the oculus app and resetting , everything is fine once again. I just wonder why everyone is so hell bent on setting up this link when you can stream to your headset all the same and have many more options? un-tethered. Am I missing something?
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus Link is for the PC gamer.
Which with a Quest with Link one can now also just connect the headset to the PC and play any of their PC VR games on , much like one would with a Rift or any other VR HMD.
So in effect the Quest can now do double duty, a stand alone mobile VR device, and a PC-VR device.

Link is also still in early beta stages, so yes it has some issues and can be very finnicky about the cable used and the USB 3 port used.  I am using the Oculus cable and it works well for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Untethered will never be the same quality as a tethered experience. Higher latency, lower visual quality, no cable charging.
Besides, the current wireless systems only work with SteamVR, meaning they don't work with Oculus features and games.
Finally, wireless is unofficial, meaning there's no official support for it.

Oculus Link is everything but nonsense. But it's still Beta, meaning it won't work properly for everyone by definition. Oculus should have designed Quest as a hybrid system from the very beginning. That way, the Link system wouldn't be that streaming workaround that needs to be tested again and again. A simple HDMI port and cable like the one on the Rift would have worked perfectly, but it's too late for that.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Oculus Link is everything but nonsense. But it's still Beta, meaning it won't work properly for everyone by definition. Oculus should have designed Quest as a hybrid system from the very beginning. That way, the Link system wouldn't be that streaming workaround that needs to be tested again and again. A simple HDMI port and cable like the one on the Rift would have worked perfectly, but it's too late for that.

To be fair to 'O' given Link seems to be an afterthought they seem to be doing quite well, they don't even insist that you have to buy their cable.  Perhaps Quest 2 (or whatever it will be called) might have the system you describe.  If they make the optics a little better, it might end up being the definitive HMD option..
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

crxefx
Expert Protege
Thanks for the insight everyone. Lulu, I agree completely! Wired has to be better for sure (at least graphicly). I wonder though, as my op, If you accept the quest for what it is. Running steam games seems exactly the same as running quest games for me. Win/Win. So I guess its up to the end user. I've played on rift. It's great but, I hate the cables. Hence my stance. If you are ok with cables and have a computer, why didn't you just buy the rift? Why bother with the quest/link?