cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lone Echo help

rootmin
Explorer

I started to play Lone Echo on Oculus Quest 2.

I keep getting crashes after a short while of playing.

My PC has 10700k, rtx3070, and 32 gb ram. There is no way this game requires more spec than that.

I tried a number of things such as reverting back to recommended settings, using medium for texture and so on. None seem to work.

Any help will be appreciated

9 REPLIES 9

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I beat this title on my Rift CV1, but I will load it up on Quest 2 and see if I run in to any issues.

Thank you! Let me know how it goes.

I absolutely love the game which makes the situation even more sad...

I'm currently just drifting through space looking at sceneries until the game crashes.. 😞

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Runs perfect with my Q2 with both my official Link cable and Air Link.  OTT ss 1.0, asw off.  In game aa off, ta on, ss 1.0, auto res off, advanced settings off.  Oculus settings 90 or 120hz, encoding res 1.4x, Air Link 120mbps fixed bitrate.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

So are you playing with Air Link?

If so, when the crash happens, go to  your PC and check the Oculus Home, Notifications section. Check to see if it says anything about "Air Link stopped working."

There seems to be a bug with Air Link right now affecting a few people. 

I did a reboot on my Quest and PC, and everything worked fine. I played a few minutes of Lone Echo without any issue. This is my first time back in Lone Echo on a long time. It was great to see this gorgeous environment again with the upgraded Quest 2!

Another thing you might try, is running an Ethernet Cable from your Modem to your PC. This makes a huge difference in performance when streaming to Quest 2 using Virtual Desktop; I would imagine similar benefits when using Air Link.

rootmin
Explorer

I use AirLink to play but I don't get the "AirLink stopped working" notification. Also when the game crashes, I just get a bug-splat popup and back to oculus home (not the oculus quest 2 home but rift home thing)

I already use an ethernet cable to the modem I use for AirLink (made it an Access Point and only Quest2 is connected via 5Ghz channel). There is no wall or anything between the modem and Quest 2. 

I managed to play Lone Echo to the end by just restarting the game and moving quickly before it crashed. I'm slightly gutted that I did not get a chance to enjoy the scenery more but it was fun.

I tried playing with ODT on with performance monitoring. When I get a crash, there is a big frame drop, along with a huge lag in-game. Quest2 sometimes recovers from it and works okay after that but sometimes it just crashes.

When the game crashes, the performance headroom (which says about 60~70% normally) drops to negative (big red spikes downwards) and I get lag/stuttering for about 10 seconds (kind of like playing at 3 fps). It either crashes or recovers from this point.

I had my task manager open too which I used to check GPU usage, but it's only using half the memory. I have 3070 8GB and the game seems to use about 4 GB memory. In the task manager, 3D is on 100% while the game runs, memory usage drops before shutdown. I have 32 GB ram but that should be plenty anyway.

I am lost as to why this is happening. My computer should have no problem whatsoever running these games.

SteamVR game also stutters from time to time. I play beat saber and it works fine, but I get these brief lag/stuttering during songs (randomly, not the same part over and over) which forces me to miss couple of notes. I have not yet experienced lag/stutter with SynthRiders yet.

I'm going to try couple more SteamVR games like No Man's Sky and HL:Alyx (need to buy) see if that lags too.

@rootmin  Sorry you seem to be having problems with your nice rtx3070.  You def should expect decent PCVR performance with that gpu.  Maybe have a look at the new Nvidia driver that just came out today 471.11.  Like most new nvidia drivers the are mainly aimed at improvements with our RTX3000 series gpu's (I have a 3090 btw).  This driver is the first one aimed at PCVR fixes.  I did not have a lot of problems with the older 466.27 but this new one does seem to have slightly better performance and a few less spikes/stutters.  Probably worth trying imho.  You can always use DDU to roll back if necessary.

As far as SteamVR stutters go, first of all enable the SteamVR beta option since a lot of recent improvements are Quest related.  Secondly, only use 100% super sampling (%pixel density).  You don't need higher with a Q2 and it should run a lot smoother.  The biggest cause of stutters, and occasional crashes are too high settings.  Overclocking your gpu can also cause a lot of problems.

Air Link is still experimental (beta) so there are bound to be a few early hiccups, esp. if you run the experimental 120Hz refresh rates.  It may be best to crank down refresh rates to 80-90Hz for now.  For me, with a 3090 120Hz is working pretty well but still need to careful with my settings (as mentioned in my earlier post to you).  You could also try going back to a Link cable and this may run a bit better than Air Link.  Although it's hard to go back to wired once you experience the freedom of wireless, lol!

Anyway, good luck mate and I hope you manage to smooth things out.  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Thanks for that detailed reply.

I did tweak here and there and started to get it working a bit better.

Chaning 90Hz to 120Hz doesn't seem to hurt the performance (kind of expected but you never know).

I will see about Super Sampling and SteamVR beta options.

diemensionx
Honored Guest

game will only let me set it to low settings, if I try custom I can put a couple of settings to medium but anymore and the GPU has a red X appear, on low I can turn the resolution up high, surely this game needs optimising better, ryzen 7 3800X, AMD 6800XT, 32 GB Ram, Rift S, most VR games that allow it I can now run at 200 resolution, lone echo 2 wont let me up the graphics settings beyond low at 100 resolution, Hope they sort this out and get the game running better.