cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Wi-fi solutions

Mr.Valentine.XXX
Honored Guest
Hey strangers,

Recently received Quest 2 as a Christmas present and it's cool, but I have an issue. It struggles to stay connected to Wi-Fi. I have 140+ Download/30+ Upload speed. Quest reads the networks connection as Excellent. However, the connection interrupts every minute or even much often than that. 

My Frankenstein internet experiments to this point are:
Quest Factory reset, numerous times.
Tried to reconnect through the app numerous times.
Tried to establish my VR camp close the router as close as sitting right next to it, no luck. It is also not obstructed by anything and sits on the shelf. 
I've read that 2.4 GHz/5GHz internet routers can cause issues, so I tried to split them into two separate networks. Tried to connect Quest to either 2.4 or 5 separately, the same issue. 
I tried to use a different router instead of mine, no luck.
I tried to make an access point with a separate 2.4Ghz/5G channel in my room, doesn't work. 
I tried to use mobile 4G as a hotspot, and it doesn't work.
I tried to use my PC as WiFi hotspot, same result.
I tried Swi-fi.apk, but couldn't make it load on Oculus 2. In fact, this solution seems pointless since I can split networks myself. 
My household isn't that busy device-wise, a few phones, tablet, security cam in sleeping mode and computers connected through Ethernet cable. Ultimately, no one downloads or uploads anything huge 24/7 and connection fairly stable. 

My observations to this point:
Oculus functions fine and stays connected once I reboot the device and it reconnects to the network the first time (after the reboot). Then seconds or minutes later, it disconnects then reconnects non-stop or stays connected but saying Connected/no internet. 
Oculus seems to stays connected if it downloads something, at least to my short experience it does. 
I have no such issue on any other device—phones, security cam, tablet etc. Understandably, Wi-Fi isn't 100% reliable for gaming, but it shouldn't disconnect 10 times in a minute. 

If someone can suggest something, I'd be much appreciated. At this point, I've tried everything reasonable and unreasonable. 
11 REPLIES 11

straikah
Honored Guest
Yeah, the exact same issue here with my Quest 2 (Received it today). Seems that I've tried everything you tried as well.

Odd thing is that when going out of reach of any other wifi network (basically at a farm with their own wifi), it worked first time and flawlessly, I could download games and play online etc. As soon as I'm back in my house which has a lot of neighboring wifi networks, I can't connect and/or lose connection very soon after connecting. I've tried setting my wi-fi router to 2.4 GHz mode only, tried using a dedicated 2.4 GHz network, tried using a dedicated 5 GHz network.

Nothing seems to work. There's obviously some sort of firmware or even hardware issue for the Quest 2 as others have reported the same behaviour. No other devices I own (phones, computers, chromecasts, apple-TVs) have these problems.

Now, my device is completely unusable as I cannot connect after the factory reset(s).

aguy10
Heroic Explorer
Out of curiosity have you guys used SideQuest?. I'm trying to find out how unstable it's capable of making the system.

straikah
Honored Guest

aguy10 said:

Out of curiosity have you guys used SideQuest?. I'm trying to find out how unstable it's capable of making the system.

Never, mine is a device straight out of the store.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@Mr.Valentine.XXX  @straikah  Try going into your home router settings and try a different 5Ghz channel (5Ghz is best by the way with Quest).  The lower channels like 36, 40, 44, and 48 are usually best because they have a little higher range.  I found that I needed to try a couple of these to find out what worked best and ended up with ch36.  Hope this helps.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

straikah
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

@Mr.Valentine.XXX  @straikah  Try going into your home router settings and try a different 5Ghz channel (5Ghz is best by the way with Quest).  The lower channels like 36, 40, 44, and 48 are usually best because they have a little higher range.  I found that I needed to try a couple of these to find out what worked best and ended up with ch36.  Hope this helps.

Just tried a dedicated 5GHz wifi on channels 36 and next one. Still no luck. Works for a short while and then dies again. With Oculus Link it works perfectly fine however, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of an untethered experience

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@straikah  Sounds like it may be a router problem.  Maybe try going to a friends home with good wifi 5Ghz and try it there.  If you go to the Virtual Desktop discord channel you can get lots of info on what routers seem to work best and lots of Quest wireless setup tips.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

straikah
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

@straikah  Sounds like it may be a router problem.  Maybe try going to a friends home with good wifi 5Ghz and try it there.  If you go to the Virtual Desktop discord channel you can get lots of info on what routers seem to work best and lots of Quest wireless setup tips.

Quite frankly, if a device is not working with a specific wifi standard it's the device which has issues and not the router. Returning this unit and I hope the next one is better. The Quest should absolutely not stop being able to find any wireless network and/or use bluetooth just because one of the networks in the list of available ones aren't compatible with the Quest's limited abilities. What if my neighbor has a non-compatible network? I can't use my Quest at that point. It's stupid and it's an obvious bug and it could be in any of the software or the hardware layer.

Mr.Valentine.XXX
Honored Guest

aguy10 said:

Same here, I experienced issues straight out of the box, additionally even if SideQuest caused some issues with  your device there is nothing that factory reset can't fix. Well, I guess except my issues 😞

Mr.Valentine.XXX
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

Then they should have official router compatibility lists. Every other device in the household works with no interruptions, except for Quest 2 that interrupts every minute. That's just unreasonable that I had to do all these steps to try to make it work. Also, as I mentioned. I literally tried to use a different router too.