cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR - Can't get Quest 2 to Work

Pau4967
Honored Guest
I've had quest 2 since yesterday and it seems to work fine. But I only bought them for Flight simulator 2020, and there is no way they will work. I have an rtx 3070 graphics card, may quests not work with this card? The other games work, I don't understand anything. I've done everything the flight simulator forums tell me, I've updated oculus, nvidia, everything drivers and it doesn't work in VR mode. I need help please.

13 REPLIES 13

kojack
MVP
MVP
Flight Simulator uses OpenXR, which is still pretty new for most platforms. One of the Oculus engineers said that people should use the PTC (Public Test Channel) version of the desktop software because it has some fixes for OpenXR that aren't in the stable release yet. You can make sure you are on the PTC by going into the desktop app, then go to Settings / Beta and turn on PTC.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I'm not sure if the Quest 2 has anything specific to it that would give it a problem running FS compared to the Rift.

But as @kojack says opt into the PTC as the stable release worked for me but there were a few issues which the PTC solved.

Maybe you can give a few more details of what you've tried so far and what you're seeing in the headset at each stage.

I assume when you say other games work ok, you mean Rift games, not Quest games? you have Link working OK? which version of Flight Simulator do you have? the Microsoft Store or the Steam version? perhaps your full PC specs may help also, as much detail as possible really

(I've edited the thread title to hopefully get more specific help from others who maybe had the same problem)

pierre_forget_3
Honored Guest
Same problem.
I just bought a Quest 2, installed everything as per forums, even the regedit hack for OpenXR. Bought it specifically for MSFS 2020 (Microsoft store). See the Quest 2 in Oculus is green (on the computer), the cable test OK in Oculus. Oculus link shows good in the headset. The best I can get when I do CTRL + TAB, it doesn't switch to the headset, instead, it shows me two identical images on my computer monitor. My setup: Radeon RX570, I9-9900, 32G RAM, 4 monitors (1 X 4K and 3 X FHD. Any idea? 

Both my Rift-S and Quest 1 work ok with the sim but that doesn't mean there's something specific to the Q2 that needs tweaking, unfortunately I don't have a Q2 to test.

It's notable that both posts here are from people who've bought the headset for Flight Sim so it would be useful to rule out problems with the setup that may be tripping you up first. Have you definitely got your Quest working with other PCVR titles? particularly non-Oculus stuff? If not, maybe download a free Steam app like Google Earth VR to check things out.

If that's working then hopefully someone who's had this problem can help out.

Incidentally, CTRL+TAB just cycles through the apps running on the PC and 2 images of the sim is what you should be getting on your monitor when the sim is running in VR mode, so that's a good sign. (one image for each eye in the headset).

pierre_forget_3
Honored Guest
I get the same result with Google Earth VR. Stupid question: Once I hit CTRL + TAB, do I need to do something in the Quest 2? I think it should stream automatically to the headset. Thanks for the tips anyway.

pierre_forget_3
Honored Guest
Got this error message in Oculus logs:
[PluginManager] Failed to load HeadsetPlugin: EmulationPluginAddition; got error code: -1010

I also tried to unplug one of my monitors (got 4), but same thing.

I get the same result with Google Earth VR. Stupid question: Once I hit CTRL + TAB, do I need to do something in the Quest 2? I think it should stream automatically to the headset. Thanks for the tips anyway.

No you don't need to hit CTRL+TAB or anything else, the headset starts displaying in Rift (PCVR) mode as soon as you plug it into the PC and choose 'enable' Oculus Link in the headset.

There have been issues with multiple monitors for people and there's a support statement that says...

'When connected to a computer, your Rift S headset is treated like an extra monitor. Depending on the bandwidth constraints, your Rift S display may not run if your GPU is already at its maximum bandwidth capacity when powering your existing monitors, even if your computer still has a DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort available'.

The same will be true for the Quest in PC mode. There have been threads on the forum that go into more detail I think but the forum search function isn't the most helpful, you may be able to find them, but I think first step is to unplug all monitors except one.

pierre_forget_3
Honored Guest
I unplugged (I mean disconnect the wire) 3 monitors, so I was left with only one 4K monitor. Same problem. Do I need Virtual Desktop to get the display in the headset? And will it be in VR or simply on a virtual screen desktop?

No, Virtual desktop isn't needed for any VR game... unless you want to stream a PC VR game wirelessly to the headset, VD can do that.

If you haven't done already, I'd strongly recommend submitting a support ticket whilst you're trying to solve the problem here. They'll probably ask for your logs so go ahead and gather those.

Support ticket can be submitted here:
https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/ 

Instructions on getting your logs here:
https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/

Other things to try are a repair or reinstall of the PC app (https://support.oculus.com/248898085828772/) making sure anti-virus software is switched off during the the repair/re-install.