cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac user looking to buy a new iMac that will work best w/ Link, Virtual Desktop, Steam games, etc

Tym3
Level 2

I am a dedicated Mac user and I am ready to purchase a new Desktop.
I have an Oculus Quest and have really enjoyed it but I would like to be able to access external hard drives and be able to play some of the bigger (Rift/Steam) games.

Please forgive my lack of sophistication when it comes to computer hardware.

From what I have read, the best way to do it is with Bootcamp and Windows 10. The previous posts I read suggested that it was only possible with an iMac Pro or a MacBook Pro. I'm hoping that with the just released iMac 27 inch, the hardware would support connectivity with the Quest.  I would love recommendations on what configuration of the new iMac I should purchase. Money is obviously an issue, but I've always tried to buy the best computer guts I could when making a new purchase in hopes that it will last and be serviceable longer.

I couldn't post a link for the options/build out so I am listing some below. I figure the processor and the graphics card are the most important features. Which choices make the best sense? Please help.

Memory is listed as 2666MHz DDR4 from 8 GB to 128GB. How many GB of RAM should I have?

Processor options
3.8GHz 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
or
3.6GHz 10-core 10th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz

Graphics Card options:
Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
or
Radeon Pro 5700 with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
or
Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory

Thanks for your help!

Tym
6 REPLIES 6

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
Sorry but no Mac build will give you good pcvr performance.  If you want good pcvr you need a good win10 pc.  Otherwise just stick with mobile VR.
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
You'd also need to consider Apple's move to ARM later this year. Do you want to wait to get an Mac that's possibly more future proof with regards to Apple or third party software... or get an Intel Mac which can run Bootcamp as that's the only way to use a Rift or Linked Quest with it. I guess that depends how long you intend to keep it.

Search the forum for Mac user experiences as they're really the only people who can say how well a Quest/Rift runs on it.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v21H2 (19044.1706)

TomCgcmfc
Level 15
Ya, currently you need intel Mac with bootcamp.  It's unclear what Apple's move to ARM will do for VR.  Looks like so far it does not support bootcamp and while it may allow some Windows apps to run it's hard to say how well they will run because you may not be able to get any windows drivers.  Time will tell how well this is going to work.

https://au.pcmag.com/netbooks/67469/arm-based-macs-wont-support-boot-camp-apple-confirms

You can google ' iMac Pro with oculus quest link ' (since the OP already has a Quest).  Really not many who have got Quest Link or wireless to work well.  Low performance and system restarts seems to be the norm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/hg9s6p/quest_link_and_macs_macbook_pro_imac_pro/

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/84333/imac-pro-oculus-quest-oculus-link

The only ones on this forum that say they got it to work have been one post wonders that have never posted again, lol!
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Shauns78
Level 3
I should probably weigh in here.... I've got both a new and older macbook pro.... VR on a mac just isn't going to work well. All of the GPU's in macs hit the bottom end for VR support. If you want to use the LINK on your quest, then start to look a costco or online deal sites for cheaper gaming PCs. I ended up getting a deal on a Ryzen 7 cpu and a Radeon 5700XT from Costco.... computer is an absolute beast and runs VR 100x better than any of my macs...

Oh, and to level the playing field... this was the first PC I've purchased in 15 years....

falken76
Level 13
You'll have to loosen up on only being a dedicated Mac user and let the PC in if you want to use VR.  Macs don't have the good video cards that are required, you'd have to bootcamp into windows anyway.  Get a cheap gaming PC, it'll look cheap compared to what you're used to spending on a machine.

Piperye
Level 4
And, as a Mac user, I'll say this, if you intend to buy more than 8gig of ram from Apple, you'll spend more on the extra ram, than the cost of a cheap gaming PC.