cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No audio when using Oculus Link

Nalin
Protege
I have no audio on my Quest headset when using Oculus Link.  These are all the things I have tried to resolve the issue:
  • Reboot PC and/or Quest and plugged things back in in many different orders.
  • Restarted the Oculus service.
  • Tried different USB ports.
  • Tried different USB cables.
  • Tried both an active and a passive extender.
  • Tried throwing a USB 3 hub into the mix just because, both as the first part of the chain and as the second part.
  • Tried with headphones plugged into the Quest and with them removed.
  • Tried toggling all the options related to sound that I could find within the software (Devices > Quest and Touch, all those sound options).
  • Repaired / reinstalled Oculus software.
  • Uninstalled Virtual Desktop Streamer app and its audio driver.
  • Changed my desktop speakers from 5.1 to stereo.
  • Attempted setting every single audio output device as default in Windows.
  • Plugged in my CV1, went through the setup, and then tried piping audio through the Oculus Rift Headphones audio output adapter.
  • Reinstalled oculus-driver.exe.
  • Opened a ticket with Oculus Support (they told me they won't support beta software, lol)
Is there anybody with the same issue who found a solution?  Or at this point is my only bet to wait a year until it stops being beta and Oculus Support actually tries to help?
EDIT: I finally got it working after uninstalling the NVIDIA HD Audio driver.
  1. On your keyboard, press Win+X > Select "Device Manager"
  2. Open up the "Sound, video and game controllers" node.
  3. Right click the NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver and choose "Uninstall device".

116 REPLIES 116

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I have the same problem (no audio with the 3’ version of the recommended Anker A to C cable). I tried with the cable alone and with a short passive extension in a couple different USB ports, but I haven’t yet tried with an active extension. That’s probably my next step. 

CrixUK said:

Try selecting a different audio output (click on speaker icon in taskbar).
for some strange reason selecting my 2d monitor as audio output sent it to the quest.

I’ll try changing my default Windows audio too, although that’s never been an issue with my Rift. Audio works fine when I switch back to the CV1 without touching anything else.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

CrixUK
Explorer

nalex66 said:

I have the same problem (no audio with the 3’ version of the recommended Anker A to C cable). I tried with the cable alone and with a short passive extension in a couple different USB ports, but I haven’t yet tried with an active extension. That’s probably my next step.

i don’t believe it’s a cable problem, like I said it’s a software audio routing problem.

if your cable displays video then it’s not the cable.

Sofian75
Expert Protege
Check if the audio isn't running on your pc instead of your Quest.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

CrixUK said:

nalex66 said:

i don’t believe it’s a cable problem, like I said it’s a software audio routing problem.

if your cable displays video then it’s not the cable.

The Oculus PC app says that Quest Headphones are the active audio device, but there is no sound. Some people have had success with this issue by adding an active cable to the mix, so it's worth a shot. But I will also try setting different Windows default audio devices, since you said that worked for you. My current default device is set to my USB headphones, and I wondered vaguely whether that could be a problem because it's another USB device. Switching to my speakers will also tell me if the sound is going to the Windows default audio instead of the Quest (my USB headphones were turned off when I tested last night, so it's conceivable that the sound was going there without me knowing).

Like I said though, my Rift has no trouble with audio regardless of my Windows default device setting.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Draiden
Explorer
Had the same problem using my front USB 3 Input.
Changed to a USB Port on the back and solved, works perfect with Sound on the Quest.

rokcysam
Honored Guest
same issue. Is there any way to solve this.

Divivor
Honored Guest
My solution was to repair the Oculus Software by opening the Installer again.

I had this problem the whole day with multiple cable setups. I now have audio, but in my case it also turned out to be my actual monitor in the audio settings. There is no "Quest Audio" entry.

Nalin
Protege
I have already tried switching the Windows default audio device.  I have already tried all the device settings within the Oculus Software, including adjusting which output device is used.  I have tried all permutations of the other options, too.  That means I've tried mirroring the audio.  No luck.
I have tried with a passive USB extension cable and an active USB extension cable.  I've tried with my case's front USB 3.0 ports.  I've tried in my motherboard's USB 3.2 Gen 2 port.  I've tried in a StarTech USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card (the powerful and expensive one with a dedicated controller for every port).
I always get rock solid video but no audio.

sdubbin
Honored Guest
I have same problem with quest audio not showing in Windows It acutually comes out of the pc speakers and the quest although if you mute the quest audio from within the headset it stops it coming out of the pc seapker and comes out of the quest speakers but very quietly

Scratty84
Protege
I have got the same issue on my desktop with 1070ti. If I have my Oculus Rift connected sound comes from my Oculus Rift instead of the Quest. If I disconnect the Rift sound is coming from my speakers. Oculus is set to use the Quest headphones and I tried all sound devices in Windows. It is always coming from the speakers if my Rift is disconnected.

On my Laptop with 1050ti sound is working fine but performance is only acceptable in simple games.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?