cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No audio when using Oculus Link

Nalin
Protege
I have no audio on my Quest headset when using Oculus Link.  These are all the things I have tried to resolve the issue:
  • Reboot PC and/or Quest and plugged things back in in many different orders.
  • Restarted the Oculus service.
  • Tried different USB ports.
  • Tried different USB cables.
  • Tried both an active and a passive extender.
  • Tried throwing a USB 3 hub into the mix just because, both as the first part of the chain and as the second part.
  • Tried with headphones plugged into the Quest and with them removed.
  • Tried toggling all the options related to sound that I could find within the software (Devices > Quest and Touch, all those sound options).
  • Repaired / reinstalled Oculus software.
  • Uninstalled Virtual Desktop Streamer app and its audio driver.
  • Changed my desktop speakers from 5.1 to stereo.
  • Attempted setting every single audio output device as default in Windows.
  • Plugged in my CV1, went through the setup, and then tried piping audio through the Oculus Rift Headphones audio output adapter.
  • Reinstalled oculus-driver.exe.
  • Opened a ticket with Oculus Support (they told me they won't support beta software, lol)
Is there anybody with the same issue who found a solution?  Or at this point is my only bet to wait a year until it stops being beta and Oculus Support actually tries to help?
EDIT: I finally got it working after uninstalling the NVIDIA HD Audio driver.
  1. On your keyboard, press Win+X > Select "Device Manager"
  2. Open up the "Sound, video and game controllers" node.
  3. Right click the NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver and choose "Uninstall device".

116 REPLIES 116

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just had this problem too. I haven't read the whole thread.

My issue was that the Headphones (subtext "Oculus Virtual Audio Device") somehow had been disabled. On Windows 10 it's reachable under "Sound Settings" (right-click on loudspeaker icon in system tray works), then click "Sound Control Panel" from the right-hand side under "Related settings".

Solution was simply to enable that device. Using Oculus Quest btw, via a Link cable (not the official one).

Sidenote:
After reading the reddit fix a few posts up from "lenne0815", it seems relevant, though different from my issue. I had norwegian Windows but I changed it a few days back, before installing any VR stuff (I'm pretty new to Oculus Link stuff). Anyway, my headphones device is still named in norwegian (Some devices - not all ofc - in Sound Settings are still in Norwegian somehow. Even after "changing" the UI language. Except the tab's of that window, which is in English). And it still worked btw after enabling it, I didn't have to rename it to the English "Headphones". So I'm leaving it as-is for now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Double post.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Btw my sidenote above was related to the reddit fix posted by "lenne0815" a few posts back, just FYI.

DrDubya
Explorer

raron said:

My issue was that the Headphones (subtext "Oculus Virtual Audio Device") somehow had been disabled. On Windows 10 it's reachable under "Sound Settings" (right-click on loudspeaker icon in system tray works), then click "Sound Control Panel" from the right-hand side under "Related settings".

OMG THAAAANK YOOOOOOUUUU WOW has been bugging me for months. Windows is so bad so many little problems really do hate it but what we gonna do.

Cat-ng-gamer
Honored Guest
I solved the issue. Goto Control Pannel > Sound > Oculus Virtual Audio Device > Proporties
Then at the bottom set Device Usage to Enabled

CubbyTeeth
Honored Guest
I just had the same problem on Windows 10 and this is how I fixed it.

1) Right-click on your audio icon in the notification area of your taskbar
2) Open Volume Mixer
3) In the Volume Mixer, in the device column, click on the device icon (mine said something like Oculus Headphones)
4) In the properties panel, at the bottom next to "Device usage" select "Don't use this device (disable)"

Gmanluigi
Honored Guest

Nalin said:

I have no audio on my Quest headset when using Oculus Link.  These are all the things I have tried to resolve the issue:
  • Reboot PC and/or Quest and plugged things back in in many different orders.
  • Restarted the Oculus service.
  • Tried different USB ports.
  • Tried different USB cables.
  • Tried both an active and a passive extender.
  • Tried throwing a USB 3 hub into the mix just because, both as the first part of the chain and as the second part.
  • Tried with headphones plugged into the Quest and with them removed.
  • Tried toggling all the options related to sound that I could find within the software (Devices > Quest and Touch, all those sound options).
  • Repaired / reinstalled Oculus software.
  • Uninstalled Virtual Desktop Streamer app and its audio driver.
  • Changed my desktop speakers from 5.1 to stereo.
  • Attempted setting every single audio output device as default in Windows.
  • Plugged in my CV1, went through the setup, and then tried piping audio through the Oculus Rift Headphones audio output adapter.
  • Reinstalled oculus-driver.exe.
  • Opened a ticket with Oculus Support (they told me they won't support beta software, lol)
Is there anybody with the same issue who found a solution?  Or at this point is my only bet to wait a year until it stops being beta and Oculus Support actually tries to help?
EDIT: I finally got it working after uninstalling the NVIDIA HD Audio driver.
  1. On your keyboard, press Win+X > Select "Device Manager"
  2. Open up the "Sound, video and game controllers" node.
  3. Right click the NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver and choose "Uninstall device".

Uhm, what if there is no NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver to uninstall? cause I don't have one when I check.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmanluigi said:

Uhm, what if there is no NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver to uninstall? cause I don't have one when I check.

You might need to right-click somewhere in Sound Control Panel and select "Show Disabled Devices" or "Show Disconnected Devices". (Right-click speaker icon works, select Sound, then click on "Sound Control Panel" from the right-hand side list under "Related Settings").

UberZoid
Honored Guest

I ran into the same/similar issue on my quest 2. I couldn't change my playback source to the Oculus Virtual Audio Device because it wasn't listed. 

In Windows, sometimes the Oculus Virtual Audio Device can get disabled (likely due to using virtual desktop streamer or something) and not show up in the output source list to choose from. In which case, do the following in windows:

* Open Sound Settings then Sound Control Panel

* You should see the disabled Oculus Virtual Audio device. Enable it.

* Go back to Sound Settings and it should now be visible in the output source list and you can choose it.

Hopefully, that'll help any lost souls who stumble on this post as I did.

Even though I found this post after doing some troubleshooting myself and finally resolving in, the method described above works. I had Virtual desktop installed and Oculus was disabled. Enabling Oculus Virtual Audio device solved the issue. Thanks to all contributors and the community. As usual, the most useful information is provided by the community and not by the company reps.