cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No way to cast to TV

svladimiri
Explorer
Whenever I open the Oculus app during gameplay - the only `Cast To` option is always just `This Phone`.
I've got a Sony Android TV with Chromecast built in, so I was expecting to be able to cast gameplay to the TV.
Anyone else experienced this ?
12 REPLIES 12

Dave
Explorer
I believe the Quest can only cast to the latest version of the Chromecast. (3rd Gen, and 4k?)  It seems very possible that older versions, including the ones built into various TVs will be incompatible. 

The Quest is supposed to be able to cast to an nVidia Shield as well.  I have one of those, and I haven't been able to get that to work either.  So, stuff may just be broken!

Bob1899
Honored Guest
I had the same problem except I was trying to cast to Nvidia Shield.  My phone was all that showed up.  I have a Wi-Fi extender and realized the extender, which my Shield was on, was considered a different network. I changed my Quest to the extender network and it saw the Shield and I could cast to it.

Badmonk
Protege
Yeah I think at this moment built in chromecast isnt supported
just used a plug in chrome cast on my LG tv though and works great. About 2/3 sec delay so hopefully this may get sorted in future update 

@svladimiri I have 2 Sony Android TVs, one more recent than the other so just tested both and the same problem (the newer TV seems to get more updates).

I tried first from my iPhone so then downloaded the Oculus app to my Android tablet just to see if the Android version of the app was any different, but no, same deal.

It's the only app that I have that doesn't seem to cast so really needs an update.

Incidentally, my tablet's a Sony Z1 (old but still works perfectly) and it has screen mirroring that works for Sony Android TVs so I can use that. It can be a bit stuttery at times though and no good for other TVs!

svladimiri
Explorer
Damn, shouldn've sold my external Chromecast after buying new TV 😞

SecretHero303
Explorer
I also have same problem. I have a Sony Bravia 4K (2017 model) with builtin cromecast. Using my iphone with latest iOS i can cast to Sony but Quest cant. I m going to try factory reset. I swear when I first started quest (without Oculus app) I saw TV icon in home page.

Mrjjj
Explorer
I have same issue and have an actual chromecast gen3 device, everything is on the same network (no guest network etc) google home is installed on the phone I have oculus app on etc etc. Just doesn't see the chromecast (however I can screen mirror to the chromecast from the same phone so..). I'm certain it is gen 3 (puck).

I also have same problem. I have a Sony Bravia 4K (2017 model) with builtin cromecast. Using my iphone with latest iOS i can cast to Sony but Quest cant. I m going to try factory reset. I swear when I first started quest (without Oculus app) I saw TV icon in home page.

My understanding is that the Quest itself doesn't cast. It mirrors to the phone/tablet and the tablet then casts to the Chromecast device. So it's the Oculus app that needs an update rather than Quest firmware.

If I'm wrong, someone tell me!

Mrjjj
Explorer

My understanding is that the Quest itself doesn't cast. It mirrors to the phone/tablet and the tablet then casts to the Chromecast device. So it's the Oculus app that needs an update rather than Quest firmware.

If I'm wrong, someone tell me!

I would think it should work the same way as most video casting apps such as youtube. You use your phone to initialize it on to the chromecast and from there all the streaming communication is happening between the youtube server and the chromecast I believe (in this case your quest device would be the server). Your phone is still able to control the play/pause/volume in those situations although there are scenarios where you can have everything completely closed on your phone and the streaming is still functioning (requires you to open google home at that point to control audio/pause/play etc).

I think both likely need an update. For some people the app doesn't register that there is a functional chromecast on the network (when there is) and for others they do see their device but have issues with the casting itself.