cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Impressed by Oculus Quest 2

silviogpt
Sightseer
I bought an Oculus Quest 2 and I am not at all impressed.
First, a bad thing is that it was launched in some European countries but not all, there is available in Germany, Spain, but Portugal not. I had to import the product online, and European online sites sell more expensive than the official price, some sell it for 400 euros.
At a technical level I think that 2k  resolution is bad, another bad aspect is not having an SD card port. We can only transfer data with a computer to Oculus with a special data cable or USB C adaptor.
Sorry my english.

There are several VR headset on the market, which already have 4K resolution (better), examples Pico g2 and Deepoon DPVR P1, and which have an SD card slot, which makes it easier to put media files.
Oculus quest 2 also has a very slow download via the browser. I don't mean downloads from the Oculus online shop from their servers, but from the net browser. I used 100mbps wifi internet and tried OCULUS in the browser to download it and it took an eternity to download the file.
So I will never buy any game at the Oculus shop, and the bad quality of 2k resolution didn't impress me at all.
10 REPLIES 10

PITTCANNA
Visionary
What is the point of this post?

Genericat
Expert Protege
Ugh, the post of an entitled and unappreciative person.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

Really This sounds like trolling

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
You are conflating the resolution wording here. The quest presents its resolution PER EYE while it sounds like you’re comparing it to other company’s resolution PER HEADSET. So, I guess you better find yourself an 8K headset and a system that can run it. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

silviogpt said:

First, a bad thing is that it was launched in some European countries but not all, there is available in Germany, Spain, but Portugal not. I had to import the product online, and European online sites sell more expensive than the official price, some sell it for 400 euros.

This is standard for VR. Valve won't sell the Index to Australia. HP were only selling the Reverb G2 in 27 of the world's 195 countries.

Be aware that if you buy in a country that Oculus doesn't sell to directly, you get no support. They don't support headsets imported through non-official means.

silviogpt said:

We can only transfer data with a computer to Oculus with a special data cable or USB C adaptor.

Any standard usb-c cable will work. I've used a $5 aliexpress cable.

silviogpt said:

At a technical level I think that 2k  resolution is bad
There are several VR headset on the market, which already have 4K resolution (better), examples Pico g2 and Deepoon DPVR P1

There's a misunderstanding here between per eye resolution (2K for Quest 2) and total panel resolution (4K for Pico G2 and DPVR). Total panel resolution is misleading, since you don't see that due to stereo overlap. You'd need an 8K panel to see 4K.
The Quest 2 is 1832 x 1920 per eye. The Pico G2 and DPVR are 1920 x 2160 per eye. That's not much of a difference.
Well, actually the DPVR P1 you mentioned is only 1280x1440 per eye, lower than even the Quest 1. I assume you mean the more expensive DPVR P1Pro which is 1920x2160 per eye.
The Pico G2 is an enterprise only headset using the old Snapdragon 835 (Quest 1 SOC) that Pico won't sell to the public. It also has no position tracking (it's only 3DOF) and a single 3DOF controller.
The DPVR uses the Snapdragon XR1 and is also 3DOF with a single 3DOF controller.
The Quest 2 uses the more powerful Snapdragon XR2.
The Pico Neo 2 Eye does look like a cool headset, I'd like to get one (6DOF head tracking, 6DOF magnetic controllers, eye tracking, etc). But again, Pico don't sell to the public, so its not a real option.

silviogpt said:

Oculus quest 2 also has a very slow download via the browser. I don't mean downloads from the Oculus online shop from their servers, but from the net browser. I used 100mbps wifi internet and tried OCULUS in the browser to download it and it took an eternity to download the file.

I just tried OpenSpeedTest on the Quest 2's browser. I'm getting 111Mbps down and 18Mbps up.

There are definitely flaws in the Quest 2, but if you think its display is bad, you'll be disappointed with most VR headsets.

I do agree with the SD card slot. A micro sd card slot would be a great addition, since so many other devices have it

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

clouds5
Expert Protege
Resolution is totally fine. I'm actually glad it's not higher, you already need top of the line hardware to run the headset like it is. The Q2 is not perfect of course, but it's a good deal.
I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

falken76
Expert Consultant
You pay for a headset that has an MSRP of $300 and expect 4k?  Dial those expectations back from 11 to about a 5 there pal.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
Dude, I totally know how you feel. I went to Outback Steakhouse and got a sirloin steak and was not impressed. Anything less than Chateaubriand is garbage. There are lots of restaurants who have Chateaubriand. Plus I wanted garlic steamed asparagus and baby red potatoes with a bernaise sauce, but they did not have any of that and I only got one side for $12.

I'm not going to eat there again. Did not impress me at all. /S

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

MikeMagnum
Protege
If anything the only bad thing about the quest 2 is not having an IPD slider and having such a tiny sweet spot..